Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: Limit switch location for 2000 mill

  • JB
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
      Why not use the "soft" limits built into your CAM software?

      Please pardon terseness and iPhone Phat Phingers 

      On Dec 28, 2012, at 23:21, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

      > Don't have the thread title handy, but there is a long running thread on
      > cnczone about building and using a small plastic block to hold a hall
      > effect transistor, plus a resistor and a LED to build a limit switch
      > which will be activated by a small magnet. They seem to work well.
      >
      > What I don't know is what material you're cutting. The hall effect
      > MAGNETS are a problem if you're cutting a lot of steel. A lot less
      > trouble if you're cutting non-magnetic materials.
      >
      > Machines cutting wood don't like optical switches.
      >
      > There is no panacea, no one method which works best everywhere.
      >
      > One problem with the Sherline is that its physical size is so small that
      > you're going to get lots of swarf on/in the limit switches. Other,
      > bigger, machines enable you to mount the limit switches much further
      > away from the cutting tool area.
      >
      > Tom Wade
      >

      > On 12/28/2012 9:02 PM, kerickson wrote:
      >>

      >> Tom,
      >>
      >> I'm not running the stock Sherline steppers, I'm using 280oz motors.
      >> I've hit the stops enough times and had to deal with getting the lead
      >> screw backed off the stops. I would rather not have to deal with that
      >> problem. I'm getting better at not running into the stops but with a
      >> little work adding the limit switches would give me a bit of peace of
      >> mind not having to worry about what damage I might be causing.
      >>
      >> I'm not looking forward to drilling mounting holes on the ways and now
      >> I've found some pictures that gave me the idea to epoxy the switches
      >> to mill. Lot less work and easy to fix mistakes.
      >>
      >> -Ken
      >>
      >> --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      >> <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> The general feeling on limit switches on Sherline mills is that the
      >>> combination of stepper and leadscrews installed does not produce enough
      >>> torque to seriously damage the equipment. Hence, most people don't
      >>> bother trying to install limit switches on a Sherline.
      >>>
      >>> Tom Wade

      >> mount

    • kerickson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        Tom,

        Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading something about the Hall Effect setup. Since I'm not milling any stell (did one project with SS and never again). I'm doing a mix of 6061 and brass.

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

        > Don't have the thread title handy, but there is a long running thread on
        > cnczone about building and using a small plastic block to hold a hall
        > effect transistor, plus a resistor and a LED to build a limit switch
        > which will be activated by a small magnet. They seem to work well.
        >
        > What I don't know is what material you're cutting. The hall effect
        > MAGNETS are a problem if you're cutting a lot of steel. A lot less
        > trouble if you're cutting non-magnetic materials.
        >
        > Machines cutting wood don't like optical switches.
        >
        > There is no panacea, no one method which works best everywhere.
        >
        > One problem with the Sherline is that its physical size is so small that
        > you're going to get lots of swarf on/in the limit switches. Other,
        > bigger, machines enable you to mount the limit switches much further
        > away from the cutting tool area.
        >
        > Tom Wade
        >

        > On 12/28/2012 9:02 PM, kerickson wrote:
        > >

        > > Tom,
        > >
        > > I'm not running the stock Sherline steppers, I'm using 280oz motors.
        > > I've hit the stops enough times and had to deal with getting the lead
        > > screw backed off the stops. I would rather not have to deal with that
        > > problem. I'm getting better at not running into the stops but with a
        > > little work adding the limit switches would give me a bit of peace of
        > > mind not having to worry about what damage I might be causing.
        > >
        > > I'm not looking forward to drilling mounting holes on the ways and now
        > > I've found some pictures that gave me the idea to epoxy the switches
        > > to mill. Lot less work and easy to fix mistakes.
        > >
        > > -Ken
        > >
        > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Tom Wade <tom@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > The general feeling on limit switches on Sherline mills is that the
        > > > combination of stepper and leadscrews installed does not produce enough
        > > > torque to seriously damage the equipment. Hence, most people don't
        > > > bother trying to install limit switches on a Sherline.
        > > >
        > > > Tom Wade

        > > mount

      • kerickson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
          I have a bad habit of forgetting one to two items during setup, therefor hard limit switch - one less thing to worry about.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

          > Why not use the "soft" limits built into your CAM software?
          >
          > Please pardon terseness and iPhone Phat Phingers 
          >
          > On Dec 28, 2012, at 23:21, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Don't have the thread title handy, but there is a long running thread on
          > > cnczone about building and using a small plastic block to hold a hall
          > > effect transistor, plus a resistor and a LED to build a limit switch
          > > which will be activated by a small magnet. They seem to work well.
          > >
          > > What I don't know is what material you're cutting. The hall effect
          > > MAGNETS are a problem if you're cutting a lot of steel. A lot less
          > > trouble if you're cutting non-magnetic materials.
          > >
          > > Machines cutting wood don't like optical switches.
          > >
          > > There is no panacea, no one method which works best everywhere.
          > >
          > > One problem with the Sherline is that its physical size is so small that
          > > you're going to get lots of swarf on/in the limit switches. Other,
          > > bigger, machines enable you to mount the limit switches much further
          > > away from the cutting tool area.
          > >
          > > Tom Wade
          > >

          > > On 12/28/2012 9:02 PM, kerickson wrote:
          > >>

          > >> Tom,
          > >>
          > >> I'm not running the stock Sherline steppers, I'm using 280oz motors.
          > >> I've hit the stops enough times and had to deal with getting the lead
          > >> screw backed off the stops. I would rather not have to deal with that
          > >> problem. I'm getting better at not running into the stops but with a
          > >> little work adding the limit switches would give me a bit of peace of
          > >> mind not having to worry about what damage I might be causing.
          > >>
          > >> I'm not looking forward to drilling mounting holes on the ways and now
          > >> I've found some pictures that gave me the idea to epoxy the switches
          > >> to mill. Lot less work and easy to fix mistakes.
          > >>
          > >> -Ken
          > >>
          > >> --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com

          > >> mount

        • Orin
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            Ken,

            I have uploaded some photos in the "Photos" area showing how Denford mounted limit switches on their Sherline lathes and mills. It's very simple and works fine. Look for photos in album "Denford Limit Switch Mounting" once the moderator approves the photos.

            Regards,
            Orin

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "kerickson" <kaerickson@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have some good suggestions/photos as to where/how to mount limit switches on a 2000 mill?
            >
            > TIA,
            > Ken

          • kungfumachinist
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "kerickson" <kaerickson@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have some good suggestions/photos as to where/how to mount limit switches on a 2000 mill?

              Regarding the "how", I have some of the "micro" switches from arcade machines for my 5000. I put "micro" in quotes because they are pretty large - not the small ones you'd find in a mouse. Anyway, I simply glued them to my machine with a hot glue gun. This allows experimentation with various arrangements without modifying the machine itself.

              /Daryl
            • kerickson
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                Orin,