Re: Aligning rod in 4 jaw independant chuck

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
      On 12/27/2012 6:08 AM, SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Posted by: "Glen"moto52000@... moto52000
      > Date: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 am ((PST))
      >
      > I'm using 1/2 ground drill rod. I checked it on my surface plate and it looks very straight as I cant see any light under it when I roll it.

      The problem may be that drill rod is not round. It is made by a
      centerless grinding system and is often quite 'lobed' You can see this
      if you start to lap the outside of a piece- it will first show shiny
      makes in 3 or 4 places as you start to make it round. Sometimes you can
      measure the out of round by mikeing it at several points around it.

      Rollies dad always used a rod from an old car front end strut- Rollie
      ran a garage and had lots of old struts to hand out to the guys in the
      club. I still have one or two in my 'stock room', or scrap pile.