Re: RPM's

  • a3sigma
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
      Spindle speed is no more critical than can be estimated from the position of the control. It's pretty linear -- halfway is half max speed, etc... Really no need for a tach. Experienced machinists observe the cutting action -- chip formation, vibration, chatter -- and adjust the spindle speed by eye and ear.

      Hobby machinists often get far too carried away computing speeds and feeds precisely. Make lots of test cuts, take notes, you'll get the hang of it.

      David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wackowolf35" <jgelsomin@...> wrote:

      > I am new to CNC. I have been watching on this forum for awhile, well I finally got my machines. I bought the 2ooo mill and lathe setup 4 axes CNC Mill and Lathe.I didn't get the computer, I am a retire IT Engineer I build my own cheaper and better than they have.The first question I have is that since the Spindle motors don't have any connection going to the Computer or Drive Box, how is one to know what the RPM's are. Basically I have to buy something else and install it, am I right as far as what I am thinking? What do I need and how hard is it to setup on the machines? Is there a certain make and model that is good. Understand I am new to this so there will be more questions in the future. Thank you
      >

      > Wacko

    • Hal
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
        A hand held tach works for me. I use the speed command for a reference.
        I just adjust the speed as needed. I do not have an ATC, so I have to stop the splinde and cycle to change tools. No connections to the computer, works for for me.

        Hal
      • wackowolf35
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
          I did buy the CNC ready versions, came with 4 steppers (rotary table ) for the Mill and 2 for the lathe. As far as the MACH or EMC2 will they run on 64bit windows or do I need to have them run on 32bit. I hate Laptops, I have a computer all set for the CNC machines. It has the on board port, not running it through the USB port. I do know a little for setting it up but not enough as of yet. I have BobCAD and I am thinking about Mesh Cam, I also have the software from Sherline if I do decide to go back to Linux (use Linux years ago for an FTP site I ran). I Thank you for what you have told me so far, just hate doing wiring never did like that, went to school in RI for Electronics when I got out of the services back in 76 so yes I am older now and forgot a hell of a lot about electronics LOL.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Elliott" <helliott@...> wrote:

          > Hi Wacko,
          > Did you buy the CNC ready versions of the machines? If so then you will need
          > a stepper controller and I would suggest the Gecko 540. You will need to
          > make a decision on what software to use. The two choices are MACH or EMC2. I
          > use MACH on windows XP. I would suggest that you don't consider a laptop as
          > they have inbuilt power conservation that can be difficult to remove.
          > Jeffrey Birt can provide good advice on controlling your spindle from your
          > computer.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Hamilton

        • wackowolf35
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
            David,

            Thank you for replaying back with your answer, a good friend of mine who work for Brown & Shop for around 12 years before they finally shut down and now works for a Machine shop that does custom guns and the likes told me the same thing. Just like to know my options, and like I said I do know about computers.

            Wacko

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@...> wrote:

            > Spindle speed is no more critical than can be estimated from the position of the control. It's pretty linear -- halfway is half max speed, etc... Really no need for a tach. Experienced machinists observe the cutting action -- chip formation, vibration, chatter -- and adjust the spindle speed by eye and ear.
            >
            > Hobby machinists often get far too carried away computing speeds and feeds precisely. Make lots of test cuts, take notes, you'll get the hang of it.
            >
            > David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
            >
            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wackowolf35" <jgelsomin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am new to CNC. I have been watching on this forum for awhile, well I finally got my machines. I bought the 2ooo mill and lathe setup 4 axes CNC Mill and Lathe.I didn't get the computer, I am a retire IT Engineer I build my own cheaper and better than they have.The first question I have is that since the Spindle motors don't have any connection going to the Computer or Drive Box, how is one to know what the RPM's are. Basically I have to buy something else and install it, am I right as far as what I am thinking? What do I need and how hard is it to setup on the machines? Is there a certain make and model that is good. Understand I am new to this so there will be more questions in the future. Thank you
            > >

            > > Wacko

          • Tom Wade
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
              I'm using EMC2 on three different machines, and still don't know the
              answer to the question about whether I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit.
              Interesting question.

              Here's a link to the starting page for EMC2. The install is fairly easy.
              You download and create a "BDI" or brain dead install CD (or memory
              stick) and install it. The BDI looks at your computer and decides what
              doo-dads you need to install for your installation, then gets it running
              in memory. If you like it, it then installs both Linux and EMC2.

              Currently, EMC2 wants to run through the parallel port, but a version to
              use a USB port is in the works for some future time or decade (?)

              Tom Wade

              On 12/9/2012 12:08 PM, wackowolf35 wrote:

              > I did buy the CNC ready versions, came with 4 steppers (rotary table )
              > for the Mill and 2 for the lathe. As far as the MACH or EMC2 will they
              > run on 64bit windows or do I need to have them run on 32bit. I hate
              > Laptops, I have a computer all set for the CNC machines. It has the on
              > board port, not running it through the USB port. I do know a little
              > for setting it up but not enough as of yet. I have BobCAD and I am
              > thinking about Mesh Cam, I also have the software from Sherline if I
              > do decide to go back to Linux (use Linux years ago for an FTP site I
              > ran). I Thank you for what you have told me so far, just hate doing
              > wiring never did like that, went to school in RI for Electronics when
              > I got out of the services back in 76 so yes I am older now and forgot
              > a hell of a lot about electronics LOL.
              >
              > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hamilton Elliott"
              > <helliott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Wacko,
              > > Did you buy the CNC ready versions of the machines? If so then you
              > will need
              > > a stepper controller and I would suggest the Gecko 540. You will need to
              > > make a decision on what software to use. The two choices are MACH or
              > EMC2. I
              > > use MACH on windows XP. I would suggest that you don't consider a
              > laptop as
              > > they have inbuilt power conservation that can be difficult to remove.
              > > Jeffrey Birt can provide good advice on controlling your spindle
              > from your
              > > computer.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Hamilton

            • Joseph L. Gelsomino
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                The 32 or 64bt is the operating system. With 32bit your machine can only see
                and use 3 1/2 to 4 gig of memory, but with 64bit your machine can see and
                use whatever the max or what you have install in the machine. Not sure about
                the Linux haven't use that OS in a long time. I like XP but Win7 isn't bad,
                I am running win 7 64bit on this machine. The CNC computer has two swap
                boxes in it, which I can swap out hard drive to run different OS's on the
                machine or put a HD in with data files on it. Not sure which way I am going
                to go as far as the software. I am taking the easy way as for the RPM
                question. I order a "Digital Tachometer" from Amazon, and will also do the
                listen and watching method for the cutting. I would like to thank you for
                your help and the help of others that replied back to be in regards to the
                first of many question that I have.

                Wacko

                I'm using EMC2 on three different machines, and still don't know the answer
                to the question about whether I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit.
                Interesting question.

                Here's a link to the starting page for EMC2. The install is fairly easy.
                You download and create a "BDI" or brain dead install CD (or memory
                stick) and install it. The BDI looks at your computer and decides what
                doo-dads you need to install for your installation, then gets it running in
                memory. If you like it, it then installs both Linux and EMC2.

                Currently, EMC2 wants to run through the parallel port, but a version to use
                a USB port is in the works for some future time or decade (?)

                Tom Wade

                On 12/9/2012 12:08 PM, wackowolf35 wrote:

                > I did buy the CNC ready versions, came with 4 steppers (rotary table )
                > for the Mill and 2 for the lathe. As far as the MACH or EMC2 will they
                > run on 64bit windows or do I need to have them run on 32bit. I hate
                > Laptops, I have a computer all set for the CNC machines. It has the on
                > board port, not running it through the USB port. I do know a little
                > for setting it up but not enough as of yet. I have BobCAD and I am
                > thinking about Mesh Cam, I also have the software from Sherline if I
                > do decide to go back to Linux (use Linux years ago for an FTP site I
                > ran). I Thank you for what you have told me so far, just hate doing
                > wiring never did like that, went to school in RI for Electronics when
                > I got out of the services back in 76 so yes I am older now and forgot
                > a hell of a lot about electronics LOL.

              • Dave Hylands
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Hi Tom,

                  On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

                  > I'm using EMC2 on three different machines, and still don't know the
                  > answer to the question about whether I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit.
                  > Interesting question.

                  From a command line under linux, use

                  uname -m

                  If it reports x86_64 then your using a 64-bit variant of linux. If it says
                  i686 or similar then you're runnng 32-bit.
                  If it reports something you're not sure about, let me know.

                  --
                  Dave Hylands
                  Shuswap, BC, Canada

                • Woody
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                    Hi Wacko,

                    I have basically the same setup as you, I wanted CNC control of my spindle,
                    can't say if was necessary but it is pretty nice to be able to read the
                    speed on Mach-3 as well as do the M3 and M5 commands.

                    I got a digispeed for each of my machines from Homann Design. Peter Homann
                    is on the list and generally answers any detailed questions. I got the
                    DC-04SL, there is a plus version that includes a breakout board and cable,
                    you need only one of those and then one DC-04 SL without the breakout board
                    and cable, it installs pretty snuggly in your controller box and gives you a
                    switch to toggle between manual and controlled modes.

                    I made a small enclosure and "Y"-Cable to break out the tack and control
                    signals to the DB-25. You will also need the Sherline Tach kits, one for
                    each lathe and mill, it has a sticker that you put on the top of you
                    spindle, it has 6 segments but you trim it so there is only one black strip
                    for Mach-3.

                    Works like a champ. I am pretty sure there are several with this setup or
                    similar.

                    John

                  • Thayer Syme
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2012
                      I have a Radio Shack solenoid switching the mains to my motor. This
                      gives me M3 & M5 commands though I am still setting the speed
                      manually. On the other hand, I am typically not too far from the
                      machine and can easily set the speed myself.

                      Thayer