Simple Tapping Guide

  • Thayer Syme
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
      I've been admiring everyone's dedicated taping stands on line and can
      certainly see the appeal of such a project. I haven't gotten to it
      yet, but did upgrade my tapping capabilities on my latest project.

      Previously I had placed my lathe center in the mill headstock then
      jogged it down onto the top of my tap handle. Tapping meant one hand
      turning the handles with the other on the keyboard chasing with the
      center. As you can imagine, that was pretty slow and didn't do a
      great job holding the handle steady.

      To improve my tapping going forward, I took an 18x.312 stainless
      shaft I salvaged from an old printer, turned a 60-degree center on
      the end and bored out an unused tool holder to just clear the shaft.
      Now I set up much the same way as before, but thread the 5+-ounce
      stainless shaft through the spindle and let gravity feed it as I
      advance the tapping handle. This works beautifully well and is a lot
      faster than the old method. In essence it is poor-man's version of
      the spring-loaded center often used. If you get the bore in the
      holder a little looser than you wanted, you can turn a drop-in collar
      for the upper end of your Z-axis spindle as well. I haven't done that
      yet and am taking solace in that the new slop is a lot less than I
      had with the previous method.

      I've added photos to my group folder showing the tapping guide. As
      for the project, I am building Elmer's #33 mill engine and have
      started a build thread on HMEM if anyone is interested.

      http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/elmers-33-novice-makes-chips-19478/

      Thayer
    • Bill Griggs
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
        Nice work Thayer. Looks like a handy addition. BTW, can you provide a link to your new Magazine?

        Bill

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Thayer Syme <thayer@...> wrote:

        > I've been admiring everyone's dedicated taping stands on line and can
        > certainly see the appeal of such a project. I haven't gotten to it
        > yet, but did upgrade my tapping capabilities on my latest project.
        >
        > Previously I had placed my lathe center in the mill headstock then
        > jogged it down onto the top of my tap handle. Tapping meant one hand
        > turning the handles with the other on the keyboard chasing with the
        > center. As you can imagine, that was pretty slow and didn't do a
        > great job holding the handle steady.
        >
        > To improve my tapping going forward, I took an 18x.312 stainless
        > shaft I salvaged from an old printer, turned a 60-degree center on
        > the end and bored out an unused tool holder to just clear the shaft.
        > Now I set up much the same way as before, but thread the 5+-ounce
        > stainless shaft through the spindle and let gravity feed it as I
        > advance the tapping handle. This works beautifully well and is a lot
        > faster than the old method. In essence it is poor-man's version of
        > the spring-loaded center often used. If you get the bore in the
        > holder a little looser than you wanted, you can turn a drop-in collar
        > for the upper end of your Z-axis spindle as well. I haven't done that
        > yet and am taking solace in that the new slop is a lot less than I
        > had with the previous method.
        >
        > I've added photos to my group folder showing the tapping guide. As
        > for the project, I am building Elmer's #33 mill engine and have
        > started a build thread on HMEM if anyone is interested.
        >
        > http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/elmers-33-novice-makes-chips-19478/
        >

        > Thayer

      • Thayer Syme
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
          >Nice work Thayer. Looks like a handy addition. BTW, can you provide
          >a link to your new Magazine?
          >
          >Bill

          Thanks Bill.

          www.2bfly.com on the web and "RC Flight Source" at the iStore.