Fwd: [SherlineCNC] Low Cost Software

  • toolznglue
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      > Hi Folks:
      >
      > Have any of you had experience with CAD-CAM programs that can be used to prepare drawings and then write g-code that will work with a Sherline mill using EMC2 software? Can you recommend any relatively inexpensive (i.e. ca. $100 or less) commercial program(s) that will accomplish these goals?
      >
      > Herb House

      Hi, Herb:

      I can offer a couple of suggestions, one of which may be in your price bracket:

      1. Fred Smith used to offer a $50 CAD-Only version of Vector. This program had the ability to take a drawing and set the start and finish points of lines that connected together so that they form a continuous curve. This is quite useful when you generate the G-Code to cut the curve. Since this version is CAD only, you'll need to find a copy of ACE converter, which will convert DXF format files that Vector can write into G-Code that your tool can read and act upon. ACE used to be available at www.dakeng.com.

      2. Purchase the bottom end version of Vector CAD-CAM. This program is a pretty decent drawing program that has the ability to generate G-Code. I'm using a copy that's about six years old and find that it does everything that I need. Since I've not been in the market for CAD software since, I really don't know what current pricing or capability is.

      I've used the software I mention in alternative #1 and was quite happy with it until I purchased a copy of the CAD-CAM version of Vector, which I've used for the past six or so years.

      Jerry Jankura
      So many toys�. So little time�.