  • Herb House
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi, Folks:

      Have any of you had experience with CAD-CAM programs that can be used to prepare drawings and then write g-code that will work with a Sherline mill using EMC2 software?  Can you recommend any relative inexpensive (i.e. ca. $100 or less) commercial program(s) that will acccomplish these goals?

      Herb House

    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
        Herb,

        The choice of CAD/CAM package depends a lot on what type of work you do. The
        needs of a plasma cutter would be different than a mill for instance. Even
        two different guys with mills might be doing two different types of work,
        for example a jeweler and a guy making model engine parts. If your only
        doing 2D parts you might have different needs than if you also need to do 3D
        parts.

        After getting a lot of requests from customers for a low cost CAD/CAM
        package and testing everyone I could get my hands on I found that CamBam
        offered the best bang for the buck. You can find out more about it here:
        http://www.soigeneris.com/cambam-details.aspx . There is a link at the
        bottom of the page to download the trial version.

        Speaking of trial versions. I would suggest trying out several different
        packages most software will have a trial version you can download. That way
        you can find the package that works best for you.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com