Re: [SherlineCNC] DON'T use automotive motor oil

  • Stan Stocker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2012
      Folks have been using Mobil 1 10 wt in sleeve bearing headstocks on
      South Bend lathes for years with no problems. I use 10 and 30 wt. Non
      Detergent (ND) typically, but unless you have a oil filled gearbox the
      detergent doesn't matter. It actually helps keep crud in suspension for
      use with pressure lubricated systems with oil filters (AKA just about
      every car engine made in the last 60 years or more). In total loss
      systems the oil and crud both just drip off.

      Neither my mill nor any of the lathes show any signs of finish damage
      from any of the oils I've used over the years.

      ND oils at farm supply places isn't as cheap as it used to be, these
      days it's more expensive than normal motor oils.

      Stan