RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Sherline CNC ready kit (6000) ?

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
      >I'm thinking that I will need two different controllers (Gecko 540) and one
      >PC.

      That will work. Or (10 G540 and (2) G250/G250.

      >I'm planning on using MACH3 to control both. Can I do that with one PC

      Yes.

      >using USB to Parallel adapters (PC doesn't have a parallel port as most
      >don't oday)?

      No, USB to parallel will not work.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ken,
      >
      > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
      > > I'm new to the home CNC world (been a wood turner for a few years) and I'm looking to purchase the 6000 system. Does the 6000 come with the steppers or do I have to get them seperately?
      >
      > Steppers are NOT included in the 6000 kit, just the stepper mounts.
      > You can see that in this picture:
      > http://www.sherline.com/images/6000CNCpic.jpg
      >
      > You'll need to purchase steppers or make adapters in order to use the
      > 6000 kit. There is no way to connect the hand wheels up otherwise.
      >
      > I bought the Sherline steppers with my 6000 and I think they're
      > perfectly adequate. The Sherline steppers are around 135 oz-in. If you
      > decide to purchase larger ones, the 270 oz-in range seems to be in the
      > sweet spot. I wouldn't go any larger than that.
      >
      > --
      > Dave Hylands
      > Shuswap, BC, Canada
      > http://www.davehylands.com

    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
        Hi Ken,

        On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that was the case - just wanted to be sure.
        >
        > I'm buying the 6000 mostly for the mill. I plan to do some 4-axes work but the lathe will be used to a lessor extent. That's 6 axes of control for two different systems. I'm thinking that I will need two different controllers (Gecko 540) and one PC. I'm planning on using MACH3 to control both. Can I do that with one PC using USB to Parallel adapters (PC doesn't have a parallel port as most don't oday)?

        I tend to mostly use the mill under CNC and mostly use my lathe manually.

        So I bought a 4 axis controller XYZ + rotary) and when I want to use
        the lathe under CNC, I just unplug my mill steppers and plug in my
        lathe steppers.

        I just bought a Gecko 540, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet
        (I've been using xylotex up to now)

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Shuswap, BC, Canada
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
          Dave,

          What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a parallel port.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ken,
          >
          > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
          > > Dave,
          > >
          > > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that was the case - just wanted to be sure.
          > >
          > > I'm buying the 6000 mostly for the mill. I plan to do some 4-axes work but the lathe will be used to a lessor extent. That's 6 axes of control for two different systems. I'm thinking that I will need two different controllers (Gecko 540) and one PC. I'm planning on using MACH3 to control both. Can I do that with one PC using USB to Parallel adapters (PC doesn't have a parallel port as most don't oday)?
          >
          > I tend to mostly use the mill under CNC and mostly use my lathe manually.
          >
          > So I bought a 4 axis controller XYZ + rotary) and when I want to use
          > the lathe under CNC, I just unplug my mill steppers and plug in my
          > lathe steppers.
          >
          > I just bought a Gecko 540, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet
          > (I've been using xylotex up to now)
          >
          > --
          > Dave Hylands
          > Shuswap, BC, Canada
          > http://www.davehylands.com

        • Andy Wander
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
            Buy a PCI parallel card.

            Andy Wander

            What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a parallel port.

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ken,
            >
            > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
            > > Dave,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that was the case - just wanted to be sure.
            > >
            > > I'm buying the 6000 mostly for the mill. I plan to do some 4-axes work but the lathe will be used to a lessor extent. That's 6 axes of control for two different systems. I'm thinking that I will need two different controllers (Gecko 540) and one PC. I'm planning on using MACH3 to control both. Can I do that with one PC using USB to Parallel adapters (PC doesn't have a parallel port as most don't oday)?
            >
            > I tend to mostly use the mill under CNC and mostly use my lathe manually.
            >
            > So I bought a 4 axis controller XYZ + rotary) and when I want to use
            > the lathe under CNC, I just unplug my mill steppers and plug in my
            > lathe steppers.
            >
            > I just bought a Gecko 540, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet
            > (I've been using xylotex up to now)
            >
            > --
            > Dave Hylands
            > Shuswap, BC, Canada
            > http://www.davehylands.com

          • Dave Hylands
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
              HI Ken,

              On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
              > Dave,
              >
              > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a parallel port.

              You can still buy parallel port PCI cards, and I'm pretty sure Mach
              supports those. My motherboard has a parallel port builtin, but its
              something I'll need to look at when I upgrade.

              There are also products like SmoothStepper http://www.warp9td.com/ (I
              haven't used this yet myself)

              --
              Dave Hylands
              Shuswap, BC, Canada
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a parallel port nor a PCI expansion bus.

                It sounds like the SmoothStepper device would do what I need. Thanks for the headsup. Do you know of any other USB/Parallel adapters that would work? Need to do some Googling :)

                -Ken
                --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

                > HI Ken,
                >
                > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
                > > Dave,
                > >
                > > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a parallel port.
                >
                > You can still buy parallel port PCI cards, and I'm pretty sure Mach
                > supports those. My motherboard has a parallel port builtin, but its
                > something I'll need to look at when I upgrade.
                >
                > There are also products like SmoothStepper http://www.warp9td.com/ (I
                > haven't used this yet myself)
                >
                > --
                > Dave Hylands
                > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                > http://www.davehylands.com

              • kerickson
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                  Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a parallel port nor a PCI expansion bus.

                  It sounds like the SmoothStepper device would do what I need. Thanks for the headsup. Do you know of any other USB/Parallel adapters that would work? Need to do some Googling :)

                  -Ken
                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

                  > HI Ken,
                  >
                  > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
                  > > Dave,
                  > >
                  > > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a parallel port.
                  >
                  > You can still buy parallel port PCI cards, and I'm pretty sure Mach
                  > supports those. My motherboard has a parallel port builtin, but its
                  > something I'll need to look at when I upgrade.
                  >
                  > There are also products like SmoothStepper http://www.warp9td.com/ (I
                  > haven't used this yet myself)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave Hylands
                  > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                  > http://www.davehylands.com

                • Tom Wade
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                    There was a recommendation on the linuxcnc website for the Intel D510M0
                    motherboard. I used this one for one machine, then got the D515M0 for
                    the next machine.

                    These are neat boards. They are small, and will fit in the Mini ATX (?)
                    cases, which will mount on the back of your monitor. No provision for a
                    cooling fan, (low power requirement) include a parallel port, and use
                    laptop memory, which is cheaper and shorter. These use the Intel Atom
                    processor, which is laid out on a much larger chip format, to give it
                    more cooling area, has lots of fins, but doesn't need a cooling fan at all.

                    Do a search for Intel Atom motherboard, and you'll find a good selection.

                    You need only a motherboard, a SATA hard drive, memory, and a case. The
                    smaller cases will mount right on the VESA screw holes on the back of
                    your monitor. Makes a quite tidy little package.

                    I got all of this for around $200.

                    Tom Wade

                    On 8/2/2012 1:34 PM, kerickson wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system
                    > that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me
                    > thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in
                    > mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel
                    > ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and
                    > look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a
                    > parallel port.
                    >
                    > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Ken,
                    > >
                    > > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
                    > > > Dave,
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that was the case - just
                    > wanted to be sure.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm buying the 6000 mostly for the mill. I plan to do some 4-axes
                    > work but the lathe will be used to a lessor extent. That's 6 axes of
                    > control for two different systems. I'm thinking that I will need two
                    > different controllers (Gecko 540) and one PC. I'm planning on using
                    > MACH3 to control both. Can I do that with one PC using USB to Parallel
                    > adapters (PC doesn't have a parallel port as most don't oday)?
                    > >
                    > > I tend to mostly use the mill under CNC and mostly use my lathe
                    > manually.
                    > >
                    > > So I bought a 4 axis controller XYZ + rotary) and when I want to use
                    > > the lathe under CNC, I just unplug my mill steppers and plug in my
                    > > lathe steppers.
                    > >
                    > > I just bought a Gecko 540, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet
                    > > (I've been using xylotex up to now)
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Dave Hylands
                    > > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                    > > http://www.davehylands.com

                  • Tom Wade
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                      You should NOT, I repeat NOT, be trying to run any cnc device from a
                      laptop, unless you have some serious intervening equipment hooked up in
                      between.

                      Running a cnc machine is all about timing. The software send step and
                      direction signals to the machine. The timing between signals if critical.

                      USB sends signal along the path whenever it's ready, thus destroying
                      some of the timing that EMC2 has so carefully worked on generating.

                      You can build a new computer yourself to run the machine (and I've done
                      this twice) for about $200 or so. Or, you can look for, and buy, several
                      cheap used PC's for less than $50 each. Some of these won't work with
                      EMC2, but eventually you'll find one or two which will.

                      One well-known problem is that laptops have some behind the scenes
                      events going on which look to see if you've been using, for instance,
                      the keyboard or mouse lately. "Oh, he's really not using me. I'll go
                      into the suspended state until he's ready to use me again." Meanwhile
                      your machine keeps on cutting in a straight line, or perhaps in a
                      circle. It's not uncommon for me to hit the run button and leave the
                      mill running for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. Your laptop thinks: "Oh,
                      he's gone to take a nap, I'll put all the processes into suspention and
                      I'll take a nap to save battery power.

                      I'm not a smoothstepper expert (or user, for that matter), but I'm under
                      the impression that it only works with Mach3.

                      The EMC2 crew is working slowly on a USB interface, but this appears to
                      be some time in the future.

                      Did I mention that you shoud NEVER try to run a cnc machine on a laptop?

                      Tom Wade

                      On 8/2/2012 2:20 PM, kerickson wrote:

                      > Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a parallel port nor a PCI
                      > expansion bus.
                      >
                      > It sounds like the SmoothStepper device would do what I need. Thanks
                      > for the headsup. Do you know of any other USB/Parallel adapters that
                      > would work? Need to do some Googling :)
                      >
                      > -Ken
                      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > HI Ken,
                      > >
                      > > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
                      > > > Dave,
                      > > >
                      > > > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new
                      > system that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB.
                      > Me thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path
                      > in mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with
                      > parallel ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's
                      > store and look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with
                      > a parallel port.
                      > >
                      > > You can still buy parallel port PCI cards, and I'm pretty sure Mach
                      > > supports those. My motherboard has a parallel port builtin, but its
                      > > something I'll need to look at when I upgrade.
                      > >
                      > > There are also products like SmoothStepper http://www.warp9td.com/ (I
                      > > haven't used this yet myself)
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Dave Hylands
                      > > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                      > > http://www.davehylands.com

                    • Alan Marconett
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                        Tom,

                        I've just ordered the DN2800MT from Amazon.

                        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006XFIK08/ln01-20

                        Atom processor, mini ATX as you describe. Inexpensive memory. Needs SATA
                        drive or SSD.

                        12 V, which is why I wanted it for an autonomous robot project I'm working
                        on.

                        What did you get for the OS?

                        Behalf Of Tom Wade

                      • Tom Wade
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                          I have Window 7 running on my office computer, and XP running on a laptop.

                          All my other machine, a couple of old PC towers, and a couple of Atom,
                          all run EMC2 on Linux. Each machine runs on whatever version I first
                          installed on it. I just go to the linuxcnc website, get the latest
                          image, and burn a new CD with the BDI on it.

                          The last Linux box I built to be a combination unit. It sits on a desk
                          in a back bedroom, and is the "guest" computer. It is also intended to
                          be the local server. So far I can see every machine from each other, so
                          far I haven't gotten them to access the server.

                          I've got them all connected with CAT 6 cable, as I've found the cnc
                          machines to be somewhat electrically noisy. i really prefer cordless
                          mice, but find that they work find on the cnc machines until you set
                          either the spindle turning, or the table moving. They they are just
                          barely useable.

                          Also need to buy a membrane keyboard or two. I keep the ones near the
                          mills wrapped in dry-cleaner bags, to keep the swarf and coolant out.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                            > Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a parallel port nor a PCI expansion bus.
                            >
                            > It sounds like the SmoothStepper device would do what I need. Thanks for the headsup. Do you know of any other USB/Parallel adapters that would work? Need to do some Googling :)

                            Smoothstepper is a very good device, it supports 6 axis and costs about
                            $170. The PoKeys device now supports 3 axis of motion control and is
                            under $100.

                            ron ginger
                          • Terry Looney
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                              I just built a computer for Linux using an Intel D525MW. It, I believe, is an upgraded (or newer) version of the D510MO. From Amazon, it was about $30 cheaper, plus it has a parallel port on the board. The D510MO only has a parallel port header so you have to buy another part in order to have a port you can plug in to. I have read of others using this successfully with LinuxCNC.

                              Terry Looney

                              Tom Wade wrote;

                              <There was a recommendation on the linuxcnc website for the Intel D510M0
                              motherboard. I used this one for one machine, then got the D515M0 for
                              the next machine.

                              These are neat boards. They are small, and will fit in the Mini ATX (?) >

                            • Ron Thompson
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                On 8/2/2012 1:34 PM, kerickson wrote:
                                > Dave,
                                >
                                > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system
                                > that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me
                                > thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in
                                > mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel
                                > ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and
                                > look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a
                                > parallel port.
                                I have yet to see a motherboard without a parallel port. They are just
                                not adding the wire and connector on the outside. You can buy these for
                                a few dollars.

                                --

                                Ron Thompson

                                Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

                                http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

                                Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                              • kerickson
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                  Ron,

                                  While, I have 4 differenet systems in my office, all w/o PP. The oldest being over 4 years old (no name brand) to my newest HP desktop system. Everthing is connected via USB and/or Ethernet.

                                  My two home desktop systems both have no PP - one being a Apple Mac Pro and the other being a Asus MB w/ Sandy chipset.

                                  I have used add-on PCI PP cards in the past with varying degrees of sucess.

                                  From what I've read today over on the Mach3 user group, I shouldn't have any problems with a USB SmoothStepper motion controller box between my PC/Laptop and a Gecko controller. The only issue is the added cost but then I would be spending that on another PC.

                                  -Ken

                                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <ron@...> wrote:

                                  > On 8/2/2012 1:34 PM, kerickson wrote:
                                  > > Dave,
                                  > >
                                  > > What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system
                                  > > that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me
                                  > > thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in
                                  > > mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel
                                  > > ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and
                                  > > look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a
                                  > > parallel port.
                                  > I have yet to see a motherboard without a parallel port. They are just
                                  > not adding the wire and connector on the outside. You can buy these for
                                  > a few dollars.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >

                                  > Ron Thompson
                                  > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
                                  >
                                  > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
                                  >
                                  > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
                                  >
                                  > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                                  > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                  >
                                  > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                  > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

                                • Stan Stocker
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                    On 08/02/2012 05:16 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:
                                    > On 8/2/2012 1:34 PM, kerickson wrote:
                                    >> Dave,
                                    >>
                                    >> What do people do for parallel ports these days as every new system
                                    >> that I've seen doesn't have one - everything has gone to USB. Me
                                    >> thinks that the makers of EMC2 and MACH3 must have a migration path in
                                    >> mind for when the day comes and there are no more PC's with parallel
                                    >> ports. It's coming faster to you think, just go to a Fry's store and
                                    >> look at the MB's without them. They out number the ones with a
                                    >> parallel port.
                                    > I have yet to see a motherboard without a parallel port. They are just
                                    > not adding the wire and connector on the outside. You can buy these for
                                    > a few dollars.

                                    Hi Ron,

                                    Quite a few of the recent branded machines don't have the headers or
                                    circuit pads populated. I snagged a Dell (full size tower, room for
                                    four + drives, not some freak micro yuppie desktop appliance) on the
                                    cheap, couple years old. Imagine my surprise, no comm ports, no
                                    parallel ports, no headers, no on board video. I needed to add a PCI
                                    parallel port. The gate arrays are programmed to support the chipsets,
                                    and don't see that the mobo had bare pads, as the add on mapped to LPT3.

                                    It has been reported that some CNC applications have a hard time with
                                    add on parallel ports. They may just be odd to configure as everytime
                                    one person says XYZ won't work with add on ports another person says
                                    they use XYZ with add on ports just fine.

                                    I think either we all will end up with Mesa boards or Smoothstepper
                                    style USB clock generators, be they actually from Smoothstepper,
                                    CNCPlanet, or some outfit that doesn't even exist yet. This probably
                                    isn't the worst thing to ever happen, as mobo generated timing seems to
                                    be the culprit in many hangs and machining faults. You just don't hear
                                    the same sort of "Oops, it must have skipped a step" comments when
                                    dedicated motion control hardware is doing the pulse generation. How
                                    much of this is due to folks running this sort of gear tend to have more
                                    experience than folks running off a mobo port, versus how much is
                                    actually due to the additional dedicated hardware can be argues I guess.
                                    I do know guys running scary big fast CNC routers though, and their
                                    jitter/step loss/unknown why did it do that problems went away and their
                                    speeds got silly fast when they went over to Mesa boards.

                                    PhlatBoys latest foamie cutter kit comes bundled with a USB motion
                                    controller that supposedly makes using the cutter no harder in many
                                    cases than using a printer. Special application for RC and related
                                    modeling, 2D, think water knife but with a rotary cutter poking the
                                    slots type of app, but quite a cool creation!

                                    Take care,
                                    Stan
                                  • Tom Wade
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                      Had the same problem with the D510Mo. Never got the onboard to work. Put
                                      in a two port PCI card, and ran two cables to two different interface
                                      cards...

                                      Tom Wade

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                        On 8/2/2012 5:36 PM, kerickson wrote:
                                        > Ron,
                                        >
                                        > While, I have 4 differenet systems in my office, all w/o PP. The
                                        > oldest being over 4 years old (no name brand) to my newest HP desktop
                                        > system. Everthing is connected via USB and/or Ethernet.
                                        >
                                        > My two home desktop systems both have no PP - one being a Apple Mac
                                        > Pro and the other being a Asus MB w/ Sandy chipset.
                                        >
                                        > I have used add-on PCI PP cards in the past with varying degrees of
                                        > sucess.
                                        First, I don't do apple, and neither does Mach3, as far as I know.

                                        Second, have you opened them to look at the motherboard? My statement
                                        was re: motherboards, not systems.

                                        I just built an eight core PC and the MSI motherboard has a parallel
                                        plug, but did not come with the wire and DB-25. The description says
                                        parallel port header.

                                        <
                                        http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1882602&CatId=7375>

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                          On 8/2/2012 5:42 PM, Stan Stocker wrote:
                                          > Hi Ron,
                                          >
                                          > Quite a few of the recent branded machines don't have the headers or
                                          > circuit pads populated. I snagged a Dell (full size tower, room for
                                          > four + drives, not some freak micro yuppie desktop appliance) on the
                                          > cheap, couple years old. Imagine my surprise, no comm ports, no
                                          > parallel ports, no headers, no on board video. I needed to add a PCI
                                          > parallel port. The gate arrays are programmed to support the chipsets,
                                          > and don't see that the mobo had bare pads, as the add on mapped to LPT3.
                                          No doubt they are on the way out.

                                          Art at Mach3 is doing a rewrite, so hopefully the next generation will
                                          address this.

                                          My point is, we aren't there, yet. There are still many capable systems
                                          for the foreseeable future.

                                          If you want to go now, use one the open source reprap 3D printer
                                          softwares over usb to drive your machine. Many are.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 2, 2012
                                            Linux CD I've got. Any good places to get an XP disc? Probably set up
                                            dual-boot.

                                            On Behalf Of Tom Wade

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                                What size couplers do I need to connect a NEMA23 motor to the Sherline lathe/mill?
                                              • alighazizadeh
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                                  Hi,
                                                  Sherline uses 1/4" lead screws, Nema 23 motors have different shaft diameters but most of the ones in the normal range, 1~ 3 N/M have 1/4" too. Best to check the specs before buying.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  A.G

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 3, 2012
                                                    Hi Ken,

                                                    On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM, kerickson <kaerickson@...> wrote:
                                                    > What size couplers do I need to connect a NEMA23 motor to the Sherline lathe/mill?

                                                    The 6000 kit comes with 1/4" couplers for each axis.

                                                    --
                                                    Dave Hylands
                                                    Shuswap, BC, Canada