Re: How to configure the Sherline Mill (cnc) ??

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
      If you intend to get support from Sherline, you need to use their latest approved version of linux and EMC2, which may be different from the latest version of linux and EMC2 from linuxcnc.org.

      It looks like you have installed the latest version of EMC2 off linuxcnc.org.

      I tried to run EMC2 on the Sherline (Mumford) controller before Sherline or linuxcnc.org supported the combo. It was a disaster, but I needed features that EMC2 had, and the sherline supported EMC did not have. I wound up getting a different controller.

      I have seen that Sherline now supports EMC2 (probably not the latest version though), and that EMC2 now has a Sherline check box in the configuration, so you may have better luck than I did.

      How far have you gotten? Did you run the setup? What is your system doing or not doing?
    • jowhowho
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
        Another option is to go to the dark side -- Mach3
        www.machsupport.com

        It costs money, but they can do more hand holding, and have better "non-geek" instructions.

        I use EMC2 for very specific technical reasons, but I'm tempted to buy a Mach3 license.
      • Douglas Vogt
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
          If PeterS opts for the Mach3 alternative, support from the Artsoft forum is quite good.

          The drawback with either the Linux EMC2 or Mach3 choices is the lack of an inexpensive, non-beta CAM program. I looked at EMC2 because of low cost (pretty much free) but went with Mach3 and LazyCam for a Taig mill. I use the same setup for retrofitting an old Sherline lathe for CNC with LazyTurn. Don't know the capabilities of a CAM program for Linux.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
            Hello jowhowho - You wrote!

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:

            > If you intend to get support from Sherline, you need to use their latest approved version of linux and EMC2, which may be different from the latest version of linux and EMC2 from linuxcnc.org.

            Little as I know, as this is my first adventure with cnc, I presumed that the latest version of EMC2 from linuxcnc would/should be the same as their approved version. As you say, this is not the case. I believe Sherline took the time to eliminate the chaff from all this and refine & provide the EMC2 especially suited for the Sherline and its users. That's just my uneducated assumption. Very nice idea.
            > It looks like you have installed the latest version of EMC2 off linuxcnc.org.

            Yes that is correct. Right now that is what I have installed and it appears to have all the necessary configurations to cover & test the Sherline 3 axis or 4 axis cnc mill, etc. in their data base. That is to somebody that understands the jargon.

            Even with my severely limited knowledge and no previous hands on experience I was hoping that somebody that is familiar with the latest EMC2 2.5.0 10.04 Lucid Lync cnc might be able to help to configure the settings? At this point, even If I had Sherline's approved version I would probably have difficulties.

            > I tried to run EMC2 on the Sherline (Mumford) controller before Sherline or linuxcnc.org supported the combo. It was a disaster, but I needed features that EMC2 had, and the sherline supported EMC did not have. I wound up getting a different controller.

            If I may? What features did you require? Controller?? The reason I asked is that I have the EMC disks, etc. BDI 4.38 & 4.51. Not sure the difference, features, etc?

            > I have seen that Sherline now supports EMC2 (probably not the latest version though), and that EMC2 now has a Sherline check box in the configuration, so you may have better luck than I did.
            >
            > How far have you gotten? Did you run the setup? What is your system doing or not doing?

            With all that said. Trying to post the proper settings and configuring the process so I can test the machine?? Hope this helps and thanks again. PS
          • PeterS
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:

              > Another option is to go to the dark side -- Mach3
              > www.machsupport.com
              >
              > It costs money, but they can do more hand holding, and have better "non-geek" instructions.
              >
              > I use EMC2 for very specific technical reasons, but I'm tempted to buy a Mach3 license.

              I'm not sure but correct me if I'm mistaken,I believe Mach3 might have a demo that can be downloaded. The software will run in Demo mode until "unlocked" by a license file. PS
            • Tom Wade
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                The only way to do this is to go to this website:
                http://www.linuxcnc.org/ and download the "latest" edition of linux and
                emc2.

                You create a CD which you use to load linux and EMC2 onto your computer.

                I say "latest" because the EMC2 team only updates the core program every
                two years. This keeps the compatability issues to a minimum.

                The Sherline controller simply expects to see a series of step and
                direction signals from some unknown computer. Easiest way to generate
                these signals is with either EMC2 or Mach3. Both of these programs
                simply take Gcode and translate it into the needed series of step and
                direction signals. The "drivers" in your machine convert these step and
                direction signals into the current levels needed to turn (or not turn)
                the steppers or servos on you machine. Of course, the Sherline uses
                steppers, but it could run just as easily run on servos.

                In the EMC2 package is a stack of special configurations for various
                machines. There are several for the Sherline in there too, plus a
                simplified screen written by Ray _____ (forget his last name), one of
                the EMC2 programming staff. It has everything the Sherline needs, and
                nothing it doesn't need. A good way to go.

                Some of the Sherline options are, for instance, "mill inch", "mill
                metric", and so on.

                If you want to run the Sherline on EMC2, just go to the linuxcnc website
                and start from there.

                Someone has mentioned the forum at Artsoft. There is also a great forum
                at the linuxcnc site also. You can get lots of help, and get it promptly
                there. But you also need to learn to dig through the documentation.

                I'm running both the Sherline and an ancient Bridgeport on EMC2, and it
                works great on both. The config files on both are vastly different, and
                the extras on both machines are quite different. For instance, on the
                Bridgeport, EMC2 is set to turn on or off the lube pump, the coolant
                pump, the mist cooler, and the shop vac. The Sherline doesn't have (or
                need) any of those things, so no reason to clutter up the screen with
                them if not needed.

                That's a great strength of EMC2. It only show on the screen the things
                that have been configured. Hence a lot less clutter.

                Tom Wade
                Hope, Indiana

                On 8/1/2012 10:54 AM, PeterS wrote:

                > Hello jowhowho - You wrote!
                >
                > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > If you intend to get support from Sherline, you need to use their
                > latest approved version of linux and EMC2, which may be different from
                > the latest version of linux and EMC2 from linuxcnc.org.
                >
                > Little as I know, as this is my first adventure with cnc, I presumed
                > that the latest version of EMC2 from linuxcnc would/should be the same
                > as their approved version. As you say, this is not the case. I believe
                > Sherline took the time to eliminate the chaff from all this and refine
                > & provide the EMC2 especially suited for the Sherline and its users.
                > That's just my uneducated assumption. Very nice idea.
                > > It looks like you have installed the latest version of EMC2 off
                > linuxcnc.org.
                >
                > Yes that is correct. Right now that is what I have installed and it
                > appears to have all the necessary configurations to cover & test the
                > Sherline 3 axis or 4 axis cnc mill, etc. in their data base. That is
                > to somebody that understands the jargon.
                >
                > Even with my severely limited knowledge and no previous hands on
                > experience I was hoping that somebody that is familiar with the latest
                > EMC2 2.5.0 10.04 Lucid Lync cnc might be able to help to configure the
                > settings? At this point, even If I had Sherline's approved version I
                > would probably have difficulties.
                >

                > > I tried to run EMC2 on the Sherline (Mumford) controller before
                > Sherline or linuxcnc.org supported the combo. It was a disaster, but I
                > needed features that EMC2 had, and the sherline supported EMC did not
                > have. I wound up getting a different controller.
                >
                > If I may? What features did you require? Controller?? The reason I
                > asked is that I have the EMC disks, etc. BDI 4.38 & 4.51. Not sure the
                > difference, features, etc?
                > >
                > > I have seen that Sherline now supports EMC2 (probably not the latest
                > version though), and that EMC2 now has a Sherline check box in the
                > configuration, so you may have better luck than I did.
                > >
                > > How far have you gotten? Did you run the setup? What is your system
                > doing or not doing?
                > >
                > With all that said. Trying to post the proper settings and configuring
                > the process so I can test the machine?? Hope this helps and thanks
                > again. PS

              • Stan Stocker
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                  On 08/01/2012 11:08 AM, PeterS wrote:

                  > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Another option is to go to the dark side -- Mach3
                  >> www.machsupport.com
                  >>
                  >> It costs money, but they can do more hand holding, and have better "non-geek" instructions.
                  >>
                  >> I use EMC2 for very specific technical reasons, but I'm tempted to buy a Mach3 license.
                  >>
                  > I'm not sure but correct me if I'm mistaken,I believe Mach3 might have a demo that can be downloaded. The software will run in Demo mode until "unlocked" by a license file. PS

                  Mach3 download will run small programs of up to 500 lines of G code.
                  The licenese will allow full functionality, but you don't have to wait
                  for a CD in the mail. They encourage using the demo version to be sure
                  i's right for you BEFORE buying the license.

                  Take care,
                  San
                • ransome michasiow
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                    After you install EMC2 there should be an 4 icons, all will say Sherline (mill/inch mill/metric lathe/inch lathe/metric on the screen. Had a lot of problems trying to download from linux site, finally just ordered the disk from Sherline and installed with no problems. Also you want the Mini. Look at Sherline's site there should be a lot of information on the EMC2 version used.

                    Ransome

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Hi Douglas,

                      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Douglas Vogt <dbvogt@...> wrote:
                      > If PeterS opts for the Mach3 alternative, support from the Artsoft forum is quite good.
                      >

                      > The drawback with either the Linux EMC2 or Mach3 choices is the lack of an inexpensive, non-beta CAM program. I looked at EMC2 because of low cost (pretty much free) but went with Mach3 and LazyCam for a Taig mill. I use the same setup for retrofitting an old Sherline lathe for CNC with LazyTurn. Don't know the capabilities of a CAM program for Linux.

                      I've been using SheetCAM (http://www.sheetcam.com/) The Windows
                      version will run under linux using WINE, or there is a linux native
                      version.

                      --
                      Dave Hylands
                      Shuswap, BC, Canada
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                        Mach3 will output up to 500 lines of G code in non licence mode.

                        Regards,
                        Hamilton

                        ---
                        Virus Database (VPS): 120801-0, 01/08/2012
                        Tested on: 8/1/2012 17:26:14
                      • Ron Thompson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                          On 8/1/2012 12:26 PM, Hamilton Elliott wrote:
                          > Mach3 will output up to 500 lines of G code in non licence mode.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Hamilton
                          One of the nice things about a Mach3 license is it is good for every
                          machine you own. This can be a great savings when you get multiple machines.

                          --

                          Ron Thompson

                          Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

                          http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

                          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                        • PeterS
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

                            > The only way to do this is to go to this website:
                            > http://www.linuxcnc.org/ and download the "latest" edition of linux and emc2. You create a CD which you use to load linux and EMC2 onto your computer.
                            >
                            > I say "latest" because the EMC2 team only updates the core program every two years. This keeps the compatability issues to a minimum.
                            >
                            > The Sherline controller simply expects to see a series of step and
                            > direction signals from some unknown computer. Easiest way to generate these signals is with either EMC2 or Mach3. Both of these programs simply take Gcode and translate it into the needed series of step and direction signals. The "drivers" in your machine convert these step and direction signals into the current levels needed to turn (or not turn) the steppers or servos on you machine. Of course, the Sherline uses steppers, but it could run just as easily run on servos.
                            >
                            > In the EMC2 package is a stack of special configurations for various machines. There are several for the Sherline in there too, plus a simplified screen written by Ray _____ (forget his last name), one of the EMC2 programming staff. It has everything the Sherline needs, and nothing it doesn't need. A good way to go.
                            >
                            > Some of the Sherline options are, for instance, "mill inch", "mill
                            > metric", and so on.
                            >
                            > If you want to run the Sherline on EMC2, just go to the linuxcnc website and start from there.
                            >
                            > Someone has mentioned the forum at Artsoft. There is also a great forum at the linuxcnc site also. You can get lots of help, and get it promptly there. But you also need to learn to dig through the documentation.
                            >
                            > I'm running both the Sherline and an ancient Bridgeport on EMC2, and it works great on both. The config files on both are vastly different, and the extras on both machines are quite different. For instance, on the Bridgeport, EMC2 is set to turn on or off the lube pump, the coolant pump, the mist cooler, and the shop vac. The Sherline doesn't have (or need) any of those things, so no reason to clutter up the screen with them if not needed.
                            >
                            > That's a great strength of EMC2. It only show on the screen the things that have been configured. Hence a lot less clutter.
                            >
                            > Tom Wade
                            > Hope, Indiana

                            Appreciate the posting and information will help to increase my knowledge. Just registered on the forum at LinuxCNC.org. Everything you posted concerning their latest Sherline EMC2 screens and configurations I can view on the latest installation on the PC. However I'm coming up with some apati errors and latency that I haven't the foggiest idea of what I have to do to resolve them.

                            There are some postings on their Forum that appears to address this. I will have to look over and see if I can make any sense of that. Once that is cleared up I think I may be able to get it set up and be able to test the axis. Will continue to work with the EMC2. At this point the problem is not the software but the newby learning how to configure it. Kindest regards to all! PS
                          • PeterS
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Douglas,
                              >
                              > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Douglas Vogt <dbvogt@...> wrote:
                              > > If PeterS opts for the Mach3 alternative, support from the Artsoft forum is quite good.
                              > >

                              > > The drawback with either the Linux EMC2 or Mach3 choices is the lack of an inexpensive, non-beta CAM program. I looked at EMC2 because of low cost (pretty much free) but went with Mach3 and LazyCam for a Taig mill. I use the same setup for retrofitting an old Sherline lathe for CNC with LazyTurn. Don't know the capabilities of a CAM program for Linux.
                              >
                              > I've been using SheetCAM (http://www.sheetcam.com/) The Windows
                              > version will run under linux using WINE, or there is a linux native
                              > version.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Dave Hylands
                              > Shuswap, BC, Canada
                              > http://www.davehylands.com

                              Thanks for the tip, Dave. I wasn't aware of that? It a good option to look into. Once I get this configuration figured out. PS
                            • PeterS
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                                > One of the nice things about a Mach3 license is it is good for every machine you own. This can be a great savings when you get multiple machines.

                                > Ron Thompson
                                > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA - Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

                                Thanks for sharing the links. Nicely done! Hope to be able check them further. Just a thought? Does anybody know if that applies to the home hobbyist and/or business alike? PS
                              • Toolznglue
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2012
                                  > The drawback with either the Linux EMC2 or Mach3 choices is the lack of an inexpensive, non-beta CAM program. I looked at EMC2 because of low cost (pretty much free) but went with Mach3 and LazyCam for a Taig mill. I use the same setup for retrofitting an old Sherline lathe for CNC with LazyTurn. Don't know the capabilities of a CAM program for Linux.

                                  IMService <http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/vectorcadcam.aspx> used to offer a low cost CAD only version of their VectorCAD/CAM program. The low cost version (about $50 USD) allowed you to group and properly sequence vectors prior to saving as a DXF file. This DXF could then be opened and processed by ACE converter, which is available as a freebie on the TurboCNC web site - www.dakeng.com and select "software." I don't know if they're offering this version any more, but there's a direction you could take. EMC works quite well at driving a Sherline desktop mill.

                                  I used this combo - cheap Vector and ACD - for a while with TurboCNC to run my Sherline mill before I moved over to EMC. When I moved over to EMC, I bought the bottom end Vector package that would generate G-Code. But, there's no reason that "cheap Vector" + ACE couldn't be used with EMC.

                                  Jerry Jankura
                                  So many toys�. So little time�.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 2, 2012
                                    > Thanks for sharing the links. Nicely done! Hope to be able check them
                                    >further. Just a thought? Does anybody know if that applies to the
                                    >home hobbyist and/or business alike? PS

                                    Mach allows hobbyists to use one license for multiple machines. If the
                                    machine is used in a commercial setting the terms require a license for
                                    each mach system.

                                    For low cost CAM look at Sheetcam and CamBam. Both excellent, CamBam has
                                    more 3D capability,

                                    For more cost look at Vectric, Cut2D, Cut3D and Vcarve Pro. Great
                                    software, but more money.

                                    In mach the config data is in an XML file, and there are Sherline
                                    specific files on the machsupport.com site.

                                    > I believe Sherline took the time to eliminate the chaff from all this and refine & provide the EMC2 especially suited for the Sherline and its users. That's just my uneducated assumption. Very nice idea.

                                    I think Sherline just takes a version of EMC and ships it- no
                                    modifications made.