Setting up Mach 3 for a sherline mill.

  • BrandonB
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2012
      I've been Converting a manual Sherline 2000 to CNC. I have the motors mounted, wired to a Gecko g540 and connected to a laptop running Mach 3. I got the g540 XML for mach 3 and I can jog in all axises.

      I imagine I now have to tell mach 3 about my mill, Based on the stepper and the screw threading, each step should move the mill 1/4000 of an inch.

      Should I bother with limit switches?

      What other steps are there between now and making chips?
    • Hamilton Elliott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2012
        I would suggest home switches and use soft limits. Laptops can sometimes
        cause problems, if it works OK, if not be prepared to get a desktop. You
        should be able to download an XML file to suit the 540 as a starting point.

        Regards,
        Hamilton

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 120709-0, 09/07/2012
        Tested on: 7/9/2012 18:44:46
      • Eric
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
          While it is in my list of things to do, I have run off and on for years without limit or home switches. My motors are not overkill with the torque rating though, so if I max out the travel nothing actually gets ripped apart.

          Eric