Stepper Temperatures

  • johna2ix
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      I am converting a Sherline mill to CNC. I have the mill converted and just got the controller together. The motors are running and is follows g code and I can manually move all axis.

      The motors are really hot. Do these normally run hot and how do I know if this is a sign of a problem or just normal. I am not running large sets of g-code.

      John
    • Sonny Mounicou
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
        John,

        That typically means you are sending too much current to the motors. If
        the motors are hot enough to blister your fingers, there is too much
        current going to them. Depending on which controller you are using, there
        are various ways to adjust it. Which controller do you have?

        --Sonny

      • John Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
          Hi Sonny

          I have Keling KL-6050. I will try to adjust the current down.

          John

        • Ken Condal
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
            My steppers have been running for years and they always get warm (maybe even
            hot) to the touch.

            Ken

            _____