Re: New Member

  • alenz@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 62 , Jun 11 11:40 PM
      Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would cutting a ½ sphere be difficult?
      I once made a wooden shift knob for my son on my manual Sherline lathe and CNC'ed mill. The turning on the lathe was mostly done with hand held gravers but I needed an accurate spherical geometry with a known radius for the top portion. (The actual radius was a required input for my shift pattern engraving).
      I did this on the mill with a ¼ in ball nose end mill using a series of parallel cuts with small step overs. Actually did a criss-cross pattern, once in the X axis and then the Y. Gcode was hand coded with the help of Excel.
      It turned out very nice.
      Al

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Wander <awander@...> wrote:

      > Right, but you couldn't do that with 2.5D.
      >

      > Andy Wander

    • kungfumachinist
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 8, 2013
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, jayb wrote:

        > I've recently retired so finally have some time to pursue new hobbies.
        >
        > The Sherline equipment looks especially interesting and it looks like
        > many knowledgeable people post here.

        Be aware that a certain "troublesome" member of that group may try to lure you into a group of his own. Which may suit you, I don't know, but it's not a Sherline group.

        /Daryl