Re: [SherlineCNC] how to tie wrap the stepper motor wire?

  • Codrut Popescu
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
      On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:55 AM, Douglas Vogt wrote:

      > The plug fits into the motor mount hole that provides Allen wrench access to the cap screw that holds the motor shaft onto the Sherline slide screws.
      >
      > You could tie the wires with the tie and use the fourth motor mount hole but if you want to be a purist, there's another alternative. Use all four screws to hold the motor on. Get a male and a female 9 pin D-sub connector for each motor and hook up the wires this way. You'll need a few bits of tapped hex brass to hold the connectors together. Radio Shack has the connectors and may have the hex fittings as well. Going all the way, get some shrink wrap tubing and cover the wires from the connector to the motor. You may want to get some tie wraps and tie the shrink wrap portion to the motor so that the connection is not being flexed whenever the motor moves.
      >
      > Connections are more convenient with 5 pin connectors but that didn't work with me as I've got heavier shielded cable and the solder pins on the 5 pin connectors were just too small.

      I will be a purist then. Thank you!

    • alenz@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 11, 2012
        If you want to be a purist then why not just use a nylon loop clamp under the fourth screw? That is the accepted aerospace standard. Works for me. This is the first time I've ever heard of a recommendation to leave out a screw for the sake of a tie-strip. I suppose three screws will hold, maybe two or even only one? But if a part is designed for four screws I like see all four installed. Maybe I'm also a purest?
        Al
        http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-loop-straps/=hxe2sj