sherline stepper motor connectors?

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
      Hi, anyone know what type of connectors are used on the sherline system? I want to get some for a project but don't know what they are called. Round 5 pin I need both male and female.
    • Glen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
      • cnc2@digitalfires.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
          "5 pin DIN"

          Jeff

          On Fri, June 8, 2012 3:51 pm, Glen wrote:
          > Hi, anyone know what type of connectors are used on the sherline system?
          > I want to get some for a project but don't know what they are called.
          > Round 5 pin I need both male and female.
        • Ron Thompson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
            On 6/8/2012 4:25 PM, cnc2@... wrote:
            > 5 pin DIN
            <https://www.google.com/search?q=5+pin+din&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=fGPST9_sHI2k8ATo7enFAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CKIBEPwFKAE&biw=1400&bih=732>
            Probably available at Radio Shack.

            --

            Ron Thompson

            Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

            http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

            Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
          • Glen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
              Thanks guys. Don't know why I couldn't remember that.

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <ron@...> wrote:

              > On 6/8/2012 4:25 PM, cnc2@... wrote:
              > > 5 pin DIN
              > <https://www.google.com/search?q=5+pin+din&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=fGPST9_sHI2k8ATo7enFAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CKIBEPwFKAE&biw=1400&bih=732>
              > Probably available at Radio Shack.
              >
              > --
              >

              > Ron Thompson
              > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
              >
              > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
              >
              > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
              >
              > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
              > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
              >
              > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
              > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

            • Glen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                Thanks guys. Don't know why I couldn't remember that.

                --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <ron@...> wrote:

                > On 6/8/2012 4:25 PM, cnc2@... wrote:
                > > 5 pin DIN
                > <https://www.google.com/search?q=5+pin+din&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=fGPST9_sHI2k8ATo7enFAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CKIBEPwFKAE&biw=1400&bih=732>
                > Probably available at Radio Shack.
                >
                > --
                >

                > Ron Thompson
                > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
                >
                > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
                >
                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
                >
                > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                >
                > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

              • Codrut Popescu
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                  I am trying to assemble my just arrived lathe and mill and when mounting the stepper motors I can either use 4 screw or just 3 screws and the bottom right hole can be used to tie wrap the motor wires. Instructions here:

                  http://www.sherline.com/stepmount.pdf

                  However in the same bag with the screws and the wraps there are some plastic plugs. I am attaching a picture with it:

                  ----------

                  What is the use of this plastic plug? Maybe to connect somehow to the wraps? I tried inserting these plug into the hole but it does not fit.

                  Thanks,
                  Codrut

                • Codrut Popescu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                    Photo here:

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31370879@N06/7167859895/

                    On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:22 AM, Codrut Popescu wrote:

                    > I am trying to assemble my just arrived lathe and mill and when mounting the stepper motors I can either use 4 screw or just 3 screws and the bottom right hole can be used to tie wrap the motor wires. Instructions here:
                    >
                    > http://www.sherline.com/stepmount.pdf
                    >
                    > However in the same bag with the screws and the wraps there are some plastic plugs. I am attaching a picture with it:

                  • Ken Condal
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                      The plug covers the hole on the side of the stepper mount (PN 67102) where
                      you use an allen wrench to tighten the set screw on the coupler.

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                        On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:35 AM, Ken Condal wrote:

                        > The plug covers the hole on the side of the stepper mount (PN 67102) where
                        > you use an allen wrench to tighten the set screw on the coupler.
                        >
                        > _____

                        Thanks!

                      • Douglas Vogt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                          The plug fits into the motor mount hole that provides Allen wrench access to the cap screw that holds the motor shaft onto the Sherline slide screws.

                          You could tie the wires with the tie and use the fourth motor mount hole but if you want to be a purist, there's another alternative. Use all four screws to hold the motor on. Get a male and a female 9 pin D-sub connector for each motor and hook up the wires this way. You'll need a few bits of tapped hex brass to hold the connectors together. Radio Shack has the connectors and may have the hex fittings as well. Going all the way, get some shrink wrap tubing and cover the wires from the connector to the motor. You may want to get some tie wraps and tie the shrink wrap portion to the motor so that the connection is not being flexed whenever the motor moves.

                          Connections are more convenient with 5 pin connectors but that didn't work with me as I've got heavier shielded cable and the solder pins on the 5 pin connectors were just too small.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                            On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:55 AM, Douglas Vogt wrote:

                            > The plug fits into the motor mount hole that provides Allen wrench access to the cap screw that holds the motor shaft onto the Sherline slide screws.
                            >
                            > You could tie the wires with the tie and use the fourth motor mount hole but if you want to be a purist, there's another alternative. Use all four screws to hold the motor on. Get a male and a female 9 pin D-sub connector for each motor and hook up the wires this way. You'll need a few bits of tapped hex brass to hold the connectors together. Radio Shack has the connectors and may have the hex fittings as well. Going all the way, get some shrink wrap tubing and cover the wires from the connector to the motor. You may want to get some tie wraps and tie the shrink wrap portion to the motor so that the connection is not being flexed whenever the motor moves.
                            >
                            > Connections are more convenient with 5 pin connectors but that didn't work with me as I've got heavier shielded cable and the solder pins on the 5 pin connectors were just too small.

                            I will be a purist then. Thank you!

                          • alenz@bellsouth.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 11, 2012
                              If you want to be a purist then why not just use a nylon loop clamp under the fourth screw? That is the accepted aerospace standard. Works for me. This is the first time I've ever heard of a recommendation to leave out a screw for the sake of a tie-strip. I suppose three screws will hold, maybe two or even only one? But if a part is designed for four screws I like see all four installed. Maybe I'm also a purest?
                              Al
                              http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-loop-straps/=hxe2sj