How to use two tools within a G Code program

  • Douglas Vogt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2012
      It seemed so simple: get a QCTP and 1/4 in. tools, put Dwells in a G code program and run the entire program with several tool changes during rough and finish passes.

      The problem is with triangular carbide or HSS AR and AL insert bits - the cutting edges of the inserts are very nearly perpendicular to the axis of the lathe. If I rotate the QCTP to give clearance to one tool, the other has none. Rotating the  tool post after a tool change is really not an option because it would be very hard to keep the bit to stock distance the same.

      The reason I am trying to use these particular tools is to machine some rather sharp curves. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

    • imserv1
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2012
        Mount the tool bits, slightly angled in the quick change holders to provide relief angles. Unless your triangular, indexable inserts have 2 sided pockets, be on the look out for insert movement under heavy cutting conditions.

        Also depending on your controller, you can use tool tables to cut with different length tools. Depending on controller call out will probably be T0101 or T1M6 type. In either case, your machine should automatically pause while you change the tool holder.

        Fred Smith - IMService
        http://www.cadcamcadcam.com
        NAMES discount code is N12, good through May 6th

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Vogt <dbvogt@...> wrote:

        > It seemed so simple: get a QCTP and 1/4 in. tools, put Dwells in a G code program and run the entire program with several tool changes during rough and finish passes.
        >
        > The problem is with triangular carbide or HSS AR and AL insert bits - the cutting edges of the inserts are very nearly perpendicular to the axis of the lathe.
      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2012
          On 5/2/2012 10:37 PM, Douglas Vogt wrote:
          > It seemed so simple: get a QCTP and 1/4 in. tools, put Dwells in a G
          > code program and run the entire program with several tool changes
          > during rough and finish passes.
          >
          > The problem is with triangular carbide or HSS AR and AL insert bits -
          > the cutting edges of the inserts are very nearly perpendicular to the
          > axis of the lathe. If I rotate the QCTP to give clearance to one tool,
          > the other has none. Rotating the tool post after a tool change is
          > really not an option because it would be very hard to keep the bit to
          > stock distance the same.
          >
          > The reason I am trying to use these particular tools is to machine
          > some rather sharp curves. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
          Sure!
          Mount your second tool in a rear tool post.

          --

          Ron Thompson

          Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

          http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/