Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: What kind of run out should I expect to see

  • alighazizadeh
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2012
      Hi,
      If you are getting a true 0.01 ~0,02 mm run out at the work piece , then I would be inclined to leave it alone and call it quits, quite happily. This class of machinery is not designed to be a tool room lathe or mill with a tolerance of 0.005 mm and the operator should learn to work around these limitations. I have spent enough time chasing after the unattainable 0.01mm run out, so please don't waste your time doing so.
      If I make a simple comparison, I used to have a small photographic business in my younger days. I could not tell you how much time and money I wasted chasing after the last ounce of resolution that an emulsion and developer combination could provide, even more so in these digital age, and all quite irrelevant to the end result.
      Many people claim to have 0.01 mm run out with the stock Sherline 3 or 4 jaws chucks, a very tall order if you consider that the Sherline spindle has about 0.01 mm of run out itself before you get into the errors of the mounting flange and the chuck. perhaps their machines are manufactured different to mine.

      Regards,

      A.G