Re: [SherlineCNC] Stiffening the Z Column

  • Calvin Witt
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
      I have my machine setup as a horizontal mill so the Z is now the Y axis and
      im experiencing flex also... my idea was to #1 offset the Z axis screw so I
      can run a better anti-backlash nut (the 3/8" thread is nice a bit
      overkill...) and have the screw run on the side. Not as pretty, just as
      effective.

      I would machine (or grind, or both) the back of the Z column smooth and
      bolt that to a ground and squared up piece of box tubing... and voula!
      stronger column, its still an idea but I know im not the only person who
      wants to have something a little stiffer! One other thing that helps is a
      nice plate (preferably steel) that you can bolt the machine to
      help absorb vibrations!

      - Calvin

      On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM, kungfumachinist
      <kungfumachinist@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I'm building a new workstation for my 5000 CNC mill. I have this idea for
      > stiffening the Z column. I'll make a secondary column behind or to the side
      > of the machine out of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe with a floor flange. Both mill
      > and pipe column will be secured to a ridged work surface, in this case a
      > Corian solid-surface countertop. The tops of the columns will be connected
      > with a 3/16" aluminum plate (using over long bolts through the stepper
      > motor mount).
      >
      > I'd just like to ask if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, not specifically
      > the technique I'm using but if I succeed in stiffening the Z column will
      > other parts wear out faster, like the spindle bearings?
      >
      > FWIW I mostly work in plastic and aluminum and I don't plan to take
      > heavier cuts just because the Z column is stiffer. I would say I'm pretty
      > conservative cutting aluminum.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > /Daryl

    • kungfumachinist
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Witt <calvino.rc@...> wrote:
        >One other thing that helps is a
        > nice plate (preferably steel) that you can bolt the machine to
        > help absorb vibrations!

        I'm not sure I understand how this will help. What I aim to do is make the relationship between the spindle and the X/Y table more rigid. Mounting the base to a work surface in a more rigid way wouldn't help this. It would simply transfer vibrations more efficiently to the benchtop.

        /Daryl
      • Ronald Wirick
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2012
          Daryl,
           That sounds like a great idea. Personally I think that any rigidness we can add
          can only help. I can only see the rigidness as helping parts not to wear out. I
          mainly run a Tornos turning center at work & it trys to throw itself across the
          floor every time the rear spindle moves in rapid. I can"t turn with the front
          (to obtain the finish callouts we have) when the back moves in rapid. I bolted
          my 2000 to 2.5 inches of Aluminum . I would rather it were steel but I had it
          laying around. Keep us posted how it works out.