How do you set up your mill?

  • Flosi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20 4:39 PM
      Group,

      I have a 5100 Sherline with Sherline motor mounts a L297/L298 controller. The computer is nic old Delæl running Ubuntu and LinuxCNC.

      I have so far been using mostly MDI while learning G code. I have come to the point that I can do all basic moves and use tool compensation with a tool table. I can now make simple parts.

      Next step is to define separate machine and work coordinates and define a special toolchange position. My plan is to define G53 as the work envelope, which in my case is x=200mm, y 80mm and z=160mm, approximately. Most of the time I would use only g54 for work and use Touch off to define that. The toolchange position will be at x0y0z-z160 which is on the table to the left and would be defined as x0y0z0 of g59.3. G30 would be defined above that.

      I have been playing around with the various workplanes and a g38 probing command. There is a competition on the Internet who can make the funkiest looking probe and mine is a contender. I have been using Ed Nisley's routines for that. There is some more learning imminent there, so pointers to more info on that aspect would be welcome.

      Is this a good plan or would you advise something else?

      Regards,

      Flosi Guðmundsson
      Iceland
    • Chris Morley
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 11:16 PM
        Flosi

        >Next step is to define separate machine and work coordinates and define a
        special toolchange position. My plan is to define G53 as the work
        envelope, which in my case is >x=200mm, y 80mm and z=160mm,
        approximately. Most of the time I would use only g54 for work and use
        Touch off to define that. The toolchange position will be at

        I'm not sure what version of EMC you are using but regardless:

        G53 is the 'machine coordinate system' - it is not user definable like G54 etc.It is defined in the linuxcnc (EMC2) INI configuration file and is referenced from home ( a good reason to home is a consistent place. )

        There are a limited number of Gcodes that can directly use the machine coordinate system. G53, G30, and G28.G53 is good for moving to a consistent position (the machine coordinates don't change) without disturbing your current work coordinate system.Using G53 to move the tool to a toolchange position would be a good example.
        Forgive me if you already knew this.Chris M

      • Flosi
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 11:46 PM
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Chris Morley <chrisinnanaimo@...> wrote:

          > Flosi
          >
          > >Next step is to define separate machine and work coordinates and define a
          > special toolchange position. My plan is to define G53 as the work
          > envelope, which in my case is >x=200mm, y 80mm and z=160mm,
          > approximately. Most of the time I would use only g54 for work and use
          > Touch off to define that. The toolchange position will be at
          >

          > I'm not sure what version of EMC you are using but regardless:
          >
          > G53 is the 'machine coordinate system' - it is not user definable like G54 etc.It is defined in the linuxcnc (EMC2) INI configuration file and is referenced from home ( a good reason to home is a consistent place. )
          >
          > There are a limited number of Gcodes that can directly use the machine coordinate system. G53, G30, and G28.G53 is good for moving to a consistent position (the machine coordinates don't change) without disturbing your current work coordinate system.Using G53 to move the tool to a toolchange position would be a good example.
          > Forgive me if you already knew this.Chris M

          Cris,
          I know, but not for long. What I meant was to use it as intended as opposed to ignoring it as I have done previously, due to ignorance of it's existence and meaning.

          Flosi