Re: Do power supplies matter?

  • BrandonB
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
      They are the 4 axes on a sherline, just milling wood and aluminum. Jeff Birt is saying it will blow a fuse at 7 amps. Maybe i need a supply less that 7 amps. But at the same time all motors using their amp rating would draw 11.2 is it that motors never draw their full potential?

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Wander <awander@...> wrote:

      > What are your 4 motors for? I think the 7A supply should be fine.
      >

      > Andy Wander

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
        They would only draw full current if they were all operating full-power at the same time. Most likely a 4-axis machine willnot be in that situation.

        Andy Wander

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
          Also, you can set the current-limiting on each axis, so that the total would not be more than 7A, if it worries you.

        • Jeffrey T. Birt
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
            You do not need a supply less than 7A. Even if you have four 3.5A rated
            stepper motors on your G540 it sill never draw 7A unless something is wrong.
            The 3.5A rating of the motor is a peak rating not how much it draws all the
            time. Four 3.5A motors on a G540 will probably draw about 6A from the power
            supply.

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com> ,

            <http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_tr> &_tr

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
              Jeff,

              I'm sure you meant to say "You do not need a supply more than 7A"  :)

              Cheers,

              Peter.

              ---------------------------
              Peter Homann
              http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

              On Fri 10/02/12 7:26 AM , "Jeffrey T. Birt" wrote:You do not need a

              Andy Wander wrote:

              > What are your 4 motors for? I think the 7A supply should be fine.
              >

              > Andy Wander

              [1]"
              target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-7-3A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-Ne

              , "Alan" wrote:

              > > > Pick the driver board you want to use (Gecko!), and that will
              dictate
              the
              > > > power supply required.
              > > >
              > > > Lower cost driver boards based on the '298 and similar chips are
              often
              > > > limited to 35 V, and you want to stay below that. So a 24 VDC
              linear
              supply
              > > > is advised (you need headroom).
              > > >
              > > > Alan KM6VV

              [2]"
              target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_tr> &_tr

              Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              To change settings via email:
              SherlineCNC-digest@yahoogroups.com
              SherlineCNC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [6]"
              target="_blank">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              -------------------------
              Message sent via Atmail Open - http://atmail.org/

              Links:
              ------
              [1]
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-7-3A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-Ne
              [2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702%3FssPageName%3DSTRK:MEWNX:IT
              [3]
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702%3FssPageName%3DSTRK:MEWNX:IT%26amp%3B_tr%26gt%3B
              [6] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • alenz@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2012
                Peter, I think Jeff was responding to Brandon's apparent concern that a more powerful supply would blow the 7 amp fuse.
                Brandon, the current is determined by the load, not the power supply. You could use a 100 amp power supply and the current draw would be the same as a 7 amp supply. (Of course you wouldn't because of the obvious overkill and expense.)
                al

                --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Peter <groups@...> wrote:

                > Jeff,
                >
                > I'm sure you meant to say "You do not need a supply more than 7A"  :)
                >

                > Cheers,
                >

                > Peter.
              • Peter Homann
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2012
                  Oops, my bad, I though Jeff made a typo.

                  Cheers,

                  Peter

                  On 10/02/2012 6:36 PM, alenz@... wrote:
                  > Peter, I think Jeff was responding to Brandon's apparent concern that a more powerful supply would blow the 7 amp fuse.
                  > Brandon, the current is determined by the load, not the power supply. You could use a 100 amp power supply and the current draw would be the same as a 7 amp supply. (Of course you wouldn't because of the obvious overkill and expense.)
                  > al
                  >

                  > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Peter<groups@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Jeff,
                  >>
                  >> I'm sure you meant to say "You do not need a supply more than 7A"Â :)

                  >> Cheers,

                  >> Peter.

                  eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                  Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                  email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                  Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                • Jeffrey T. Birt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 10, 2012
                    Yes, you are correct Peter. Thanks for catching that J

                    Jeff Birt

                    Soigeneris.com

                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT <http://www.ebay.com/itm/320817686702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_tr> &_tr> &_tr

                    SherlineCNC-digest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC-digest%40yahoogroups.com>