RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: new to cnc and struggling

  • Ken Condal
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
      I went through the same frustration a few years ago when I started in CNC.

      First off, CNC is difficult to learn. It will take time, so be patient.

      You have CAD/CAM software which isn't easy to learn. Then the CAM portion
      has to be configured for your controller, EMC2 in your case. So you have two
      pieces of complex software to learn and they have to be in sync.

      For me, I began by getting CAD/CAM software that came with lots of
      instructional videos. I chose BobCAD and although it's lacking in many
      areas, the videos taught me a lot of the concepts that I can now use in any
      CAD package.

      Once I was able to generate g-code for some simple operations (drilling a
      hole, cutting a circular pocket, etc) I move on to EMC2. Like you, it
      frustrated me, so I bought Mach3, again, because there are lots of
      instructional videos online.

      Naturally I asked a LOT of questions here and soon learned that questions
      that are specific get specific answers.

      Good luck,

      Ken

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
        Not to confuse the issue but if you have a spare Windows PC that you can use for testing, you can download a trial version of Mach3 and Lazycam. This is what I use for my Taig Mill and will use for a CNC retrofit of a manual Sherline lathe.

        While I applaud Sherline for going the Linux route, it means double the learning curves: Linux and EMC2. I set up a Linux partition on my Windows 7 PC in hopes of testing EMC2 but never got far due to lack of a CAM program.

        Don't give up or get frustrated. One step at a time will work with this stuff.

        ________________________________

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Donald Kempton <dnldkempton@...>
        wrote:

        > Which software are you referring to? I tried the included software
        package that came with my mill, and found it completely confusing and
        about as user friendly as a punch in the forehead.

        > ________________________________

        I can't figure out how to change it to that file as the default. I can
        redirect the file and save, but I don't always remember. As I am trying
        to work my way through a new program, it sometimes go to the folder that
        is in stalled.
        > I am in Mesa Arizona, if there is anyone in my area that might be able
        to give me some help, I would greatly appreciate it.
        > Thanks...

      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
          You could probably get a lot more help if you could ask more specific
          questions.

          The CNC process is a long series of little bitty steps. Start with the
          first step and try it. When that works, take the second step, etc.

          I bought the Sherline CNC conversion kit, but without the computer.
          Converted an old computer I had laying around to linux, and installed
          the Sherline version of emc2 without a hitch.

          Since then I've bought an old Bridgeport and removed the original BOSS
          computer and converted it to a pc running EMC2. A long process, but not
          all that difficult. You just have to take it one baby step at a time.

          Tom Wade

          On 1/12/2012 10:41 AM, m54scott wrote:

          > I only have what came with the Sherline system preloaded on the
          > computer. I downloaded and printed the manual and have found it to be
          > lacking , I then downloaded the EMC2 Ver. 2.4 Manual It helped but I am
          > so far from making parts or having any understanding of what I am doing
          > its driving me crazy...and it is a very short trip.....
          >
          > Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help that I can get.
          >
          > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Donald Kempton <dnldkempton@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Which software are you referring to? I tried the included software
          > package that came with my mill, and found it completely confusing and
          > about as user friendly as a punch in the forehead.
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • Dave Hylands
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
            Hi Mark,

            On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
            > You could probably get a lot more help if you could ask more specific
            > questions.
            >
            > The CNC process is a long series of little bitty steps. Start with the
            > first step and try it. When that works, take the second step, etc.

            I documented, at a very high level, the steps I go through to make a
            part. There are many little details I glossed over, but this gives you
            an idea of what's involved.
            http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Making-A-Part/index.html

            For me, I was using Mach3 rather than EMC. I highly recommend SheetCAM
            for 2-1/2D machinng. It's inexpensive (around $150 IIRC) and seems to
            work well. You can use virtually any CAD program you desire, the big
            thing is that you need to be able to export DXF files.

            If you choose to use a simulation program (like cutviewer mill) then
            you can go through the entire process and visualize your final parts
            without even having to touch your mill. Cutviewer Mill also has a some
            cool features where you can single-step through your gcode. You can
            also pull measurements off the "machined" part to verify that your
            paths offset the cutters properly.

            --
            Dave Hylands
            Shuswap, BC, Canada
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
              I live in Chandler and would be willing to help if I can. I wouldn't call
              myself a Linux expert but have a working knowledge of it, and the same for
              CNC. I had a Sherline 2000 for many years which I converted to CNC. Contact
              me offline and we'll figure something out.

              --Phil M.

              > I only have what came with the Sherline system preloaded on the
              > computer. I downloaded and printed the manual and have found it to be
              > lacking , I then downloaded the EMC2 Ver. 2.4 Manual It helped but I am
              > so far from making parts or having any understanding of what I am doing
              > its driving me crazy...and it is a very short trip.....
              >
              > Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help that I can get.
              >

              > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Donald Kempton <dnldkempton@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Which software are you referring to? I tried the included software
              > package that came with my mill, and found it completely confusing and
              > about as user friendly as a punch in the forehead.

            • R.L. Wurdack
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2012
                For the G-code side of things I think the Ed Nisley series in ""Digital
                Machinist"" is pretty good, particularly if you start at the beginning of
                the series.

                D.