RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Smooth Stepper I/O Error

  • Ken Condal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
      Hi All,

      My mill is back up and running again and I'd really like to thank Robert and
      especially Jeff from Soigeneris. Jeff responded to each and every email I
      sent over the holiday weekend and eventually gave me the clue to get things
      working.

      Apparently I had a faulty ground connection somewhere. I don't know how it
      cropped up (I haven't changed anything), but moving all of my power cords to
      a different power source fixed the issue.

      Jeff also had me connect a ground wire from one of the PC power supply
      screws on the back of the PC to my Smooth Stepper box. He said that this
      makes sure that any voltage drop across the USB cable won't cause a problem
      because the ground strap keeps them at the same potential. He might as well
      have been speaking Latin, but like I said, everything is working now.

      Thanks and Happy New Year,

      Ken

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
        great job Ken and Jeff,

        That makes sense and a very good tip.

        Thats why some people use normally closed limit switches. Where the limit is energized, hitting it breaks the connection. That way if you have a ground problem will cause everything to quit running,and the faulty limit it will show its self on the diagnostic page by pushing the limits.

        The thinking being you want to know the problems there before it just crashes the limits.

        The ground wire on the power supply and case is a great way to save equipment damage.

        Robert

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >

        > My mill is back up and running again and I'd really like to thank Robert and
        > especially Jeff from Soigeneris. Jeff responded to each and every email I
        > sent over the holiday weekend and eventually gave me the clue to get things
        > working.
        >

        > Apparently I had a faulty ground connection somewhere. I don't know how it
        > cropped up (I haven't changed anything), but moving all of my power cords to
        > a different power source fixed the issue.
        >

        > Jeff also had me connect a ground wire from one of the PC power supply
        > screws on the back of the PC to my Smooth Stepper box. He said that this
        > makes sure that any voltage drop across the USB cable won't cause a problem
        > because the ground strap keeps them at the same potential. He might as well
        > have been speaking Latin, but like I said, everything is working now.
        >

        > Thanks and Happy New Year,
        >
        > Ken
        >

        > _____

      • Jeffrey T. Birt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
          Rob, the 'ground' Ken was speaking of is 'Earth ground' not DC common. It is
          a problem of the electrical noise having a place to go and keeping all parts
          of the system at the same earth ground potential.

          Jeff

          "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > restarted.
          > >
          > > I even get the error sometimes as soon as I start Mach3 and before I've
          > even hit the Reset button on the screen (to take it out of e-stop).
          > >
          > > My SmoothStepper config is the same as it's always been:
          > >
          > > Controller Frequency: 1 kHz
          > >
          > > Max Step Frequency:
          > >
          > > X 32 kHz
          > > Y 32 kHz
          > > Z 32 kHz
          > > A 32 kHz
          > > B 256 kHz (unused)
          > > C 256 kHz (unused)
          > >
          > > Spindle 64 kHz (I am using the box to power the spindle On/Off, but not
          > for the spindle speed)
          > >
          > > Watchdog: 2.0
          > >
          > > Noise Filtering All are set to 0
          > >
          > > Does anyone have ANY idea what might be causing this? Should the Noise
          > Filtering parameters be set to something other than zero?

        • condor46910
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
            Jeff
            Thanks for straighten me out on that.