RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Smooth Stepper I/O Error

  • Ken Condal
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
      Hi Robert,

      I only use this computer for Mach3 and haven't done a hardware or software
      update in a year. All of the other USB devices (mice, network, etc) are
      working fine.

      I may try installing Mach3 on another computer, just to eliminate the
      possibility that the computer is the problem.

      Thanks,

      Ken

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
        Hi All,

        My mill is back up and running again and I'd really like to thank Robert and
        especially Jeff from Soigeneris. Jeff responded to each and every email I
        sent over the holiday weekend and eventually gave me the clue to get things
        working.

        Apparently I had a faulty ground connection somewhere. I don't know how it
        cropped up (I haven't changed anything), but moving all of my power cords to
        a different power source fixed the issue.

        Jeff also had me connect a ground wire from one of the PC power supply
        screws on the back of the PC to my Smooth Stepper box. He said that this
        makes sure that any voltage drop across the USB cable won't cause a problem
        because the ground strap keeps them at the same potential. He might as well
        have been speaking Latin, but like I said, everything is working now.

        Thanks and Happy New Year,

        Ken

        _____

        "KWC" <kencondal@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'm having a problem with my STDR-4C (Soigeneris box with Smooth Stepper)
        that I've never see before. This setup has been working for quite a while
        and I haven't changed any hardware or software recently.

        > Every time I start Mach3 and power up the box, as soon as I start jogging
        an axis I get a popup that reads:

        > SmoothStepper_v17cd
        >
        > Error returned from USB function FT_Write
        > Error: FTDI USB Driver Error
        >
        > Error = FT_IO_ERROR
        >
        > Bytes Requested: 64
        > Bytes Written :0
        >
        > I changed the USB port I was using on the computer and even replaced the
        USB cable (it has a ferrite core built in). Same problem. In fact I
        unplugged EVERY cable, including the axis cables on both ends (stepper and
        box). Everything, including the computer, was powered down, unplugged and
        restarted.

        > I even get the error sometimes as soon as I start Mach3 and before I've
        even hit the Reset button on the screen (to take it out of e-stop).

        > My SmoothStepper config is the same as it's always been:
        >
        > Controller Frequency: 1 kHz
        >
        > Max Step Frequency:
        >
        > X 32 kHz
        > Y 32 kHz
        > Z 32 kHz
        > A 32 kHz
        > B 256 kHz (unused)
        > C 256 kHz (unused)
        >
        > Spindle 64 kHz (I am using the box to power the spindle On/Off, but not
        for the spindle speed)

        > Watchdog: 2.0
        >
        > Noise Filtering All are set to 0
        >
        > Does anyone have ANY idea what might be causing this? Should the Noise
        Filtering parameters be set to something other than zero?

        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ken

      • condor46910
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
          great job Ken and Jeff,

          That makes sense and a very good tip.

          Thats why some people use normally closed limit switches. Where the limit is energized, hitting it breaks the connection. That way if you have a ground problem will cause everything to quit running,and the faulty limit it will show its self on the diagnostic page by pushing the limits.

          The thinking being you want to know the problems there before it just crashes the limits.

          The ground wire on the power supply and case is a great way to save equipment damage.

          Robert

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >

          > My mill is back up and running again and I'd really like to thank Robert and
          > especially Jeff from Soigeneris. Jeff responded to each and every email I
          > sent over the holiday weekend and eventually gave me the clue to get things
          > working.
          >

          > Apparently I had a faulty ground connection somewhere. I don't know how it
          > cropped up (I haven't changed anything), but moving all of my power cords to
          > a different power source fixed the issue.
          >

          > Jeff also had me connect a ground wire from one of the PC power supply
          > screws on the back of the PC to my Smooth Stepper box. He said that this
          > makes sure that any voltage drop across the USB cable won't cause a problem
          > because the ground strap keeps them at the same potential. He might as well
          > have been speaking Latin, but like I said, everything is working now.
          >

          > Thanks and Happy New Year,
          >
          > Ken
          >

          > _____

        • Jeffrey T. Birt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
            Rob, the 'ground' Ken was speaking of is 'Earth ground' not DC common. It is
            a problem of the electrical noise having a place to go and keeping all parts
            of the system at the same earth ground potential.

            Jeff

            "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > restarted.
            > >
            > > I even get the error sometimes as soon as I start Mach3 and before I've
            > even hit the Reset button on the screen (to take it out of e-stop).
            > >
            > > My SmoothStepper config is the same as it's always been:
            > >
            > > Controller Frequency: 1 kHz
            > >
            > > Max Step Frequency:
            > >
            > > X 32 kHz
            > > Y 32 kHz
            > > Z 32 kHz
            > > A 32 kHz
            > > B 256 kHz (unused)
            > > C 256 kHz (unused)
            > >
            > > Spindle 64 kHz (I am using the box to power the spindle On/Off, but not
            > for the spindle speed)
            > >
            > > Watchdog: 2.0
            > >
            > > Noise Filtering All are set to 0
            > >
            > > Does anyone have ANY idea what might be causing this? Should the Noise
            > Filtering parameters be set to something other than zero?

          • condor46910
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
              Jeff
              Thanks for straighten me out on that.