Re: Looking for help on upgrading CNC software on Sherline mill

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 6, 2011
      That manual is for a Windows based program called DESKCNC. What I am looking for is a manual for the DOS based program DESKNCRT.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 6, 2011
        > Mach3 (release around 2008)is primarily a parallel port application for Win XP, but with varying degrees of success, has been used on later os and with the addition of additional hardware interfaces on USB computers. Primarily supported on-line, most new users are intimidated by the cluttered screens, and as a reseller, we have found that it is too easy for the user to change something and then not be able to figure out what went wrong with his setup. If your hobby is making CNC machines, teaching them tricks and playing with your friends with similar interests, this is the best option.

        > Fred Smith - IMService
        > http://www.imsrv.com
        > 888-451-1670

        Oh come on Fred, your memory must be better than that, Mach started
        shipping about 1997 or 8. There have been a continious stream of
        releases over the years since then.

        It is also far more than a parallel port solution, there are several
        interfaces, smoothstepper, Kflop, Galil, DspMC, Centipede are all I can
        recall right off.

        And of course, the NcPod has half-ass support by Carl, when he feels
        like answering mail.

        ron ginger
      • imserv1
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <fkaufman@...> wrote:

          > That does sound simple enough, Fred.
          >
          > My problem is that I have no instruction manual for DESKNCRT. I can go into jog mode and move the mill in all 6 directions by pressing the appropriate keys. I can run the sample programs existing on the computer. However, I have no idea what some of the choices are and why I need to make the. I figured out a few things by trial and error.
          >
          > For example when I just turn the machine on and try to run a program, I get a message saying mode has to be set to coordinated. I can do that and the program will than run. But I see that mode can be either free or coordinated, and I have no clue what the difference is between those and no manual to look it up.

          Frank, here is the link to Deskncrt:

          http://www.deskam.com/deskncrt.html

          As I said before, find the EMC manual and you will have a good syntax on how this program uses G-code.

          This is a link to the original EMC manual:
          http://nonnno.hobby-web.net/GCORD/RS274NGC_3TOC.html

          The mode convention appears to simply be two ways to use the software, jogging and under program control.

          Fred Smith - IMService
          http://www.imsrv.com
          888-451-1670
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
            Fred, I truly appreciate your input but:

            1. http://www.deskam.com/deskncrt.html shows the basic screen of the software (which is very similar to the one on my screen) but there is no further info on the page. No manual, no software. The download link goes to a different software package (engraver).

            2. http://nonnno.hobby-web.net/GCORD/RS274NGC_3TOC.html shows the index page of the manual. None of the links work, you get an error on every item.

            Frank

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "imserv1" <imserv@...> wrote:

            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <fkaufman@> wrote:
            > >
            > > That does sound simple enough, Fred.
            > >
            > > My problem is that I have no instruction manual for DESKNCRT. I can go into jog mode and move the mill in all 6 directions by pressing the appropriate keys. I can run the sample programs existing on the computer. However, I have no idea what some of the choices are and why I need to make the. I figured out a few things by trial and error.
            > >
            > > For example when I just turn the machine on and try to run a program, I get a message saying mode has to be set to coordinated. I can do that and the program will than run. But I see that mode can be either free or coordinated, and I have no clue what the difference is between those and no manual to look it up.
            >

            > Frank, here is the link to Deskncrt:
            >
            > http://www.deskam.com/deskncrt.html
            >
            > As I said before, find the EMC manual and you will have a good syntax on how this program uses G-code.
            >
            > This is a link to the original EMC manual:
            > http://nonnno.hobby-web.net/GCORD/RS274NGC_3TOC.html
            >
            > The mode convention appears to simply be two ways to use the software, jogging and under program control.
            >
            > Fred Smith - IMService
            > http://www.imsrv.com
            > 888-451-1670

          • imserv1
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
              > 2. http://nonnno.hobby-web.net/GCORD/RS274NGC_3TOC.html shows the index page of the manual. None of the links work, you get an error on every item.

              Try this one, it seems to be complete. The original source is there too(on googlecode.com), but it won't help, unless you have a pretty good understanding of the language:

              http://rs274ngc.googlecode.com/files/RS274NGC_3.pdf

              Fred Smith - IMService
              http://www.imsrv.com
              888-451-1670
            • imserv1
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
                P.S. See section 3 for the G-code syntax.