Re: Serious backlash issue

  • alenz@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2011
      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy M <trumpy81@...> wrote:

      > GDay All,
      >
      > Jack, generally speaking, tram means to have the Z-Axis perpendicular to
      > X and Y in all planes.

      In addition to the above, bear in mind that traming requires the spindle axis to be dead nuts parallel with the Z travel axis. This is a two step process on a Sherline. First align the column perpendicular to the X-Y plane, and then align the spindle perpendicular to the X-Y plane. If they are off, then you would expect results similar to that described.
      Al
    • Vic Dhawan
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
        It might be worth checking for play in the spindle head. The bearing may
        need to have it's preload nut tightened. I say this because I was having a
        similar problem with my Taig manual lathe. I had to tighten the nut a little
        to fix the problem. Before that I was tearing my hair out trying to figure
        where the movement was coming from. Hope this helps...

        Regards,
        Vic