Re: CNC with tailstock support job

  • wongsterwish
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31 2:38 AM
      Ok folks, this question may sound silly. Couldn't figure out how the follower works from the drawings on sherline's site.

      Can I use follower rest with CNC?

      Regards,
      Wong

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wongsterwish" <wongsterwish@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Fred.
      >
      > I'm thinking of using codes to turn the parts down to the 5mm (27mm) and 4mm (25mm long) section. The grooves and flat will be done manually.
      >
      > All these while, the jobs I did are shorter and so required no support at the end. When I was using code to run these jobs, I observed that the tool moved away from the 0 position towards the tailstock (I later found out that there are some instances of M03 or something that moves tools to the machine zero which I didn't set). No problem with these jobs as there were nothing at the tailstock end. Need to learn more about gcode to edit bobcad generated codes to avoid problems...
      >
      > Regards,
      > Wong
      >

      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "imserv1" <imserv@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wongsterwish" <wongsterwish@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I did the drawings in bobcad. The problem is, the code generated kept moving the tool towards the revolving center (very tight space there. Check out the pics at
      > >
      > > In my Cad-Cam I can model the live center ( plus a little clearance) and it will be avoided by the tool. If your cad-cam can support "behind" turning, you should be able to do the same. Behind turning is a process whereby the cam program can "groove" out the area between the front of the workpiece and some smaller diameter, without heeling the backside of the tool. An example of such a part is a trailer hitch ball on a stem, held in the chuck by the stem. The maximum angle of infeed attack is controlled by the angle of the tooltip, even if the geometry is tighter than the tool can cut.
      > >
      > > Fred Smith - IMService
      > > http://www.imsrv.com

    • Bob Christie
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
        Yes and No
        I use a follower rest on my cnc lathe. (which is a Prazi cnc) I set it up as a leader instead of a follower, meaning that I have my rollers set up ahead of my toolbit to support the stock.
        This only works if you are cutting the profile in one cut.