Re: [SherlineCNC] Best entry level simple CAD/CAM software

  • Martin Dobbins
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hi Terry,

      It sounds like you might just be in need of some canned moves rather than a full blown CAD/CAM package?

      If you are using EMC for control there are some examples here:

      http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Simple_EMC_G-Code_Generators

      See if those fit the bill, if not there are some more complicated examples here:

      http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Example_G-Code_Programs

      Hope that helps?

      Martin

      --- On Sat, 4/30/11, terryset2000  wrote:

      Hello all - Would anyone like to comment on their choice for best entry level, simple, basic CAD/CAM software? I'm trying to do very basic, low accuracy, cnc on a sherline mill. Ease of use, "top-down" learning, short learning curve, etc. I'm playing around with PartMaster, but it seems like much more than the basics that I need. Most of what I am doing is simple operations on tubing; drill, tap, slotting, etc.

      Regards, TS

    • Jeffrey T. Birt
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
        I like to suggest CamBam as a good general purpose Cam/CAM package. You can
        do basic 2d cad with it and even some 3d if you are creative. Best of all
        the GCode it produces is great. To be fair I am a bit b iased since I sell
        it, but then I sell it because I like it. There is a bit about it on my
        website here: http://www.soigeneris.com/CamBam-details.aspx also take a look
        at the forum: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php .

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2011
          Many here use Graham Hollis's D2NC program.

          It does just the kinds of things you mention. Though I have built a number of things, in a year and a half I haven't needed anything more exotic than this.

          www.d2nc.com

          Give it a look. I think you will find it is what you need.

          Cheers,

          Larry Miller

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "terryset2000" <terryset2000@...> wrote:

          > Hello all - Would anyone like to comment on their choice for best entry level, simple, basic CAD/CAM software? I'm trying to do very basic, low accuracy, cnc on a sherline mill. Ease of use, "top-down" learning, short learning curve, etc. I'm playing around with PartMaster, but it seems like much more than the basics that I need. Most of what I am doing is simple operations on tubing; drill, tap, slotting, etc.
          >
          > Regards, TS

        • terryset2000
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2011
            thanks for the responses; all of these programs/methods look good; not sure which way I will go, still way early on the learning curve.

            TS