Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: Sherline Mill and Lathe in 3D model?

  • Andy M
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2011
      GDay All,

      David, I hear you re: Inventor, if it wasn't for my good friend I'd be
      in the same boat as you.

      In regards to the models, I'm more than happy to upload them to the
      files area so that you can grab them and convert them for use with
      Alibre etc.

      The only problem I see is that my models are made up from each of the
      components that you would find on the real thing. IE: the spindle head
      is one part, the motor is another part etc. etc.

      In order to make use of these parts Alibre would need to be capable of
      creating assemblies and I'm not sure that it can?

      I know the parts can be converted for use with Solidworks, but that is
      in the same league as Inventor, very expensive!

      As far as I know, its not possible to convert an Inventor Assembly into
      an .stl or any other format.

      As an aside, I came across a free 3D program called Misfit Model 3D. It
      looks to be a bit like Alibre. Certainly worth a look :)

      Regards
      Andy M

      On 11/03/2011 10:39 AM, a3sigma wrote:
      > Andy,
      >
      > Inventor was my favorite modeler while I was working. Can't afford to
      > maintain it in retirement, so I'm stalled with a copy of release 8 that
      > can't be upgraded. I made a pretty good start on modeling the mill,
      > should finish it one of these years.
      >
      > However, you could export your model as a STEP file. It could be then be
      > opened in a number of less expensive modelers, including Alibre which is
      > what I'm now using. Alibre has a number of file sharing options. Besides
      > drawings, of course, it will produce 3D pdfs.
      >
      > If you are willing, I will be very happy to collaborate with you on
      > making your models accessible to the group and others. Please contact me
      > on of off list to discuss.
      >
      > Wong, if you're interested in solid modeling at all, I recommend Alibre.
      > The personal edition is only $99 (USDollars). It's more than adequate
      > for this task. I'd be happy to work with you as well.
      >
      > David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
    • Dan Putman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2011
        Hi Terry,

        Inventor has a number of internal file formats IPT (Part file) ASM
        (assembly) and more. When it is time to target the finished design to a
        manufacturing process Inventor can generate DXF, STL, Step. that can be read
        by CAM programs. DXF is planar so it is a line drawing of that view. I use
        these when making a part by hand or if I just want to run a 2D CNC profile.

        I hope this helps.

        Best,

        Dan

      • Terry Wellman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2011
          Dan,

          I figured that Inventor could output a readable file format that I could import into Rhino and SolidWorks. I could then run CAM with the Visual Mill plug-in that we have for both. I didn't know for sure as we don't have any clients who are using Inventor yet. Lots of Rhino, SW, UG, etc.

          Thanks,
          Terry
        • a3sigma
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 11, 2011
            Assemblies, parts, either or both, no problem. I'm at present collaborating with a colleague in New York. We're swapping CAD Key, Alibre, Inventor files, parts and assemblies via STEP with no problem. Thanks for sharing.

            DC

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 11, 2011
              Hi Wong,

              I been CADing since there was such a thing. Every platform known to the world and a few that aren't. Taught it in seminars, apprentice programs, and community college.

              My own view, and that of every student I've ever know who's tried it, is that Inventor is the most intuitive, fast and easy to learn ever. If you can possible get a copy, do. There is I believe a student version, you may have to enroll in a course to get it, it would be worth it. If I wasn't so busy and lazy, I'd go back to teaching it just to get a current copy.

              Alibre is not bad, better than most, to learn. I think it's by far the best $100 choice.

              DC

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wongsterwish" <wongsterwish@...> wrote:

              > David,
              >
              > I tried Alibre a month ago, recommended by Tang Kee. Could get the hang of it. Maybe not enough play time to learn eniugh to use it effectively. I will do the trial again some time later. Like solidworks but it's too expensive. Played with the 2008 version in a friend's company. Love it. Find it easier to learn. Looking for people to sell their old license cheap. No luck yet.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Wong
              >
              > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Andy,
              > >
              > > Inventor was my favorite modeler while I was working. Can't afford to maintain it in retirement, so I'm stalled with a copy of release 8 that can't be upgraded. I made a pretty good start on modeling the mill, should finish it one of these years.
              > >
              > > However, you could export your model as a STEP file. It could be then be opened in a number of less expensive modelers, including Alibre which is what I'm now using. Alibre has a number of file sharing options. Besides drawings, of course, it will produce 3D pdfs.
              > >
              > > If you are willing, I will be very happy to collaborate with you on making your models accessible to the group and others. Please contact me on of off list to discuss.
              > >
              > > Wong, if you're interested in solid modeling at all, I recommend Alibre. The personal edition is only $99 (USDollars). It's more than adequate for this task. I'd be happy to work with you as well.
              > >
              > > David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
              > >

              > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy M <trumpy81@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > GDay All,
              > > >
              > > > Wongster, I have modeled the lathe and mill in Autodesk Inventor 2011
              > > > and earlier versions, but you would need Autodesk Inventor in order to
              > > > take advantage of them. It is NOT an inexpensive program and I only have
              > > > access to it through a very good friend :)
              > > >
              > > > I think you are going to find it difficult unless you happen to own a 3D
              > > > program in which case you will be able to model your own :)
              > > >

              > > > Regards
              > > > Andy M

            • Andy M
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2011
                GDay All,

                David, that is good to hear. I have been under the impression that
                Alibre did not handle Inventor assemblies. I did know that it could
                handle .step files among others though.

                I will dig out the older files from my archives (for better
                compatibility) and I will upload them to the files section as soon as I can.

                It will probably take some time to get it all done, but I'll let you all
                know when it is :)

                Regards
                Andy M

                On 12/03/2011 4:53 AM, a3sigma wrote:
                > Assemblies, parts, either or both, no problem. I'm at present
                > collaborating with a colleague in New York. We're swapping CAD Key,
                > Alibre, Inventor files, parts and assemblies via STEP with no problem.
                > Thanks for sharing.
                >
                > DC
              • a3sigma
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 19, 2011
                  Hello All,

                  Sorry I've been out of touch.

                  Alibre personal edition, the $99 version, does not open STEP files.

                  I was able to open then in Alibre Expert, and Inventor. As time permits, I'll see if I can convert the STEP to Alibre in the Expert edition, and open that in the personal edition.

                  David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA