Re: New Sherline 2000 CNC Mill DOA - X Axis stepper did not work, now X,Y,Z broken.

  • eric_sites
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2011
      It was a bad stepper motor pig tail cable that shorted the fuses on the control board. I fix it by replace the 3.5 AMP pico fuses and the pig tail cable. Now everything is working fine.

      Thanks,
      Eric Sites

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Victor Guerra <vguerrao@...> wrote:

      > Try a different Pc, sounds like there is a problem with your cable or port.
      >
      > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM, eric_sites <eric_sites@...> wrote:
      >

      > > So I purchased a Sherline CNC Mill and Lathe on Feb 11th. They arrived on
      > > the 24th, I pulled the instructions and DVDs I purchased from the boxes and
      > > read/watched everything. Saw that I could not put it together without a
      > > board to mount it to. So Friday at lunch, I purchased a board for the mill
      > > and lathe and when I got home proceeded to put everything together.
      > >
      > > That went well until I turned on the computer, loaded the EMC software,
      > > clicked manual, turned on the control board power (side of the pc) and tried
      > > jog the X axis. Y, Z, and A worked just fine, X would not move but it was
      > > getting power to the stepper motor. So I turned off the control board
      > > plugged my x cable to y axis stepper, that did not work. And then did it
      > > with Z. Now X, Y, and Z don't work and will not move (after putting the
      > > cable back to the correct stepper).
      > >
      > > If I plug a new stepper motor into any of the X, Y, Z cables it does not
      > > work either. (The new stepper motor was from the lathe).
      > >
      > > The motors are getting power, as soon as I turn the controller power on the
      > > hand wheels stiffen up. But the motors don't get warm like the A axis motor
      > > does.
      > >
      > > Any help or suggestions on how to fix or trouble shoot this problem?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Eric Sites
      > >

      > --
      > Atentamente,
      >
      > Dr. Victor M Guerra

    • Thomas A Trikalinos
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011
        I documented my adventure here. take a look. the cable may not be the
        problem. In my case there was a fracture of the trace of the motor PCB.

        http://web.me.com/ttrikalin/Electronics/Stepper_motor_repair.html

        HTH,
        tom