Re: A2Z Monster Mill Alignment

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
      Great Tim
      I'll look for the upgrade as you guys finish it up.
      You had mentioned in your set up sheet to put a drop of Loctite Red on the tapered end portion of the leadscrew that will seat into the coupler. Loctite Red says if you ever need to get the parts apart that you need to heat up your parts to 500°F. Will that ever be necessary? Heating up the leadscrew may damage the coating on the lead screw.

      Bruce

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "wongsterwish" <wongsterwish@...> wrote:

      > That's great!!! I'll be keeping a look out on your site.
      >
      > Too little time available for this hobby of mine. Anything that help to speed things up (tramming, setting up etc) are welcome :)
      >
      > Regards,
      > Wong
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "timgoldstein" <timg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bforgan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey guys
      > > > I just bought A2Z's CNC Monster Mill too. Just got everything set up and was trying to figure out the best way to tram the z-clolumn to the table. How did you both end up getting yours aligned? I can only visualize shimming under the z-column and know that is going to be difficult for X and Y. I thought about shimming the column to align to the x-axis and shimming my tool table plate that I screw to the x-axis table slots for the y-axis. Any pics or further comment would be helpful.
      > > >
      > > > Bruce
      > >
      > > The reality is our Monster Mill is the same design as a Sherline 5400 just with the parts beefed up and made longer. So the tramming and alignment is handled the same as Sheline outlines for their mill.
      > >
      > > We are working on upgrading the 2.2" headstock riser to incorporate an adjustment to allow you to pull the keyway and square up the spindle after everything else is square. Will work on our Monster Mill version or on a factory Sherline mill. Probably a month out or so. New headstock spacers will have it incorporated out of the box. Existing customers will be able to purchase the add on adjuster and will only need to drill and tap a few holes into the 2.2" headstock spacer to add it on. As an upgrade we will be doing it at a special low price for prior purchasers of the 2.2" spacer.
      > >
      > > We will likely offer it as a separate item for those that want to upgrade their Sherline factory 1" spacer to give an accurate and easy rotation alignment.
      > >
      > > Tim Goldstein
      > > A2Z Corp
      > > A2Z CNC division
      > > 3955 S Mariposa St
      > > Englewood CO 80110
      > > 720 833-9300
      > > Toll Free 877 754-7465
      > >
      > > www.A2ZCorp.us/store
      > > USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
      > > Specialized No Mar tools for the jewelry industry.

    • timgoldstein
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bforgan@...> wrote:

        > Great Tim
        > I'll look for the upgrade as you guys finish it up.
        > You had mentioned in your set up sheet to put a drop of Loctite Red on the tapered end portion of the leadscrew that will seat into the coupler. Loctite Red says if you ever need to get the parts apart that you need to heat up your parts to 500°F. Will that ever be necessary? Heating up the leadscrew may damage the coating on the lead screw.
        >
        > Bruce

        Bruce,

        While it is true that you have to use head to remove a red Loctited threaded fastener, here you are using it on the cone face. You want to make sure you DO NOT get any into the 5-40 threads. No need to heat to remove. All you do is take out the 5-40 screw that holds the CNC coupler to the end of the leadscrew then remove the two 8-32 screws that hold the CNC motor mount to the machine. Then just grab the motor mount twist it. Not round and round the way the leadscrew turns, but to the side, up, or down like you want to snap it off the end of the screw. That is exactly what happens. It snaps the Loctite and comes right off the end of the screw.

        The reason for the red Loctite on the cone face is equally valid if you are using our Precision Leadscrew upgrade or stock factory Sherline parts with your CNC setup. That cone coupler interface was designed back when 130 oz/in or less motors were the norm. With the huge motors people are now using (and even with the 250 - low 300 size we recommend) the design is well past the torque it was designed to transmit. The Loctite eliminated slippage and loosening of the legacy coupler connection.

        Regarding the 500 deg F number for getting out red Loctite on threaded fasteners, I have never heated that hot. More in the 200 - 300 range seems to soften it enough to do the job. BTW, the coating on the screws is Teflon which has a tremendous heat tolerance.

        Tim Goldstein
        A2Z Corp
        A2Z CNC division
        3955 S Mariposa St
        Englewood CO 80110
        720 833-9300
        Toll Free 877 754-7465

        www.A2ZCorp.us/store

        USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
        Specialized No Mar tools for the jewelry industry.
      • Ken Condal
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
          Hi Tim,

          I'm very interested in the adjustable alignment headstock you're working on
          and was wondering if you could provide some more details about how the
          adjustments would be made to align a mill. The reason I ask is because I've
          been considering building an adapter for my own monster mill and will hold
          off if your design solves my problem.

          My design is based on the concept of aligning a 4-jaw chuck. As you loosen
          one jaw and tighten the opposing one, you have an incredible amount of
          control (sub .001") in setting the alignment. My design would incorporate
          this concept so that you could "dial in" the exact X and Y adjustments using
          opposing screws and without shims (or a hammer).

          I have built a modification for the Z column alignment using a similar
          concept and will upload some photos later today.

          Thanks,

          Ken

          _____