RE: [SherlineCNC] 4axis Milling and going from Solidworks to Mach3

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2010
      -I am happy with my step motors, though I understand that you can get superior performance with Servos. They are a bit more complex to install and to tune, also.

      -A "post-processor" is something that is invoked by(or contained in) your CAM software. CAM software is what is used to go from a drawing or solid model of a part, to the machine code that Mach uses to actually make the part. There will be different post-processors for different machines. Think of it as the piece that translates the machine or part code into the specific language that your machine needs.

      -I can't speak about cost-effective 3D CAM software. The only one I have any experience with is CNC Toolkit plugin, which works with 3DS MAX, Design Max, GMAX and Autodesk Viz. I have fooled around with it a little bit, but not gotten very far with it.

      Andy Wander, CTS, TCE I / TCE II
      Vice President, Engineering

      Verrex Corporation
      Americas Headquarters
      1130 Route 22 West
      Mountainside, NJ 07092 USA
      Direct: +1 908 664 8353
      Tel: +1 908 232 7000
      Mobile: +1 610 389 4819
      awander@...
      www.verrex.com

      EMEA/Verrex Limited: +44 (0) 1992 667 000
      Asia Pacific/Verrex Asia Limited: +852 3713 4200

      Global Conferencing & Communication Solutions
      New York | Boston | Tampa | London | Hong Kong

      Please join us in working & living environmentally responsibly. Consider the environment before printing this email.