A2Z Monster Mill Alignment

  • KWC
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2010
      Hi All,

      I bought an A2Z monster mill and am having problems aligning/tramming it. I was wondering if anyone else here had an A2Z mill or parts of one as Sherline upgrades.

      Unlike my Sherline 2000, the A2Z doesn't have adjustment screws etc. nor do they have much tech support. The only reference to alignment in the assembly docs is to use shims under the Z column.

      My Z column is out of alignment in both X and Y and after three days of shimming I've found that whatever correction I make on one axis throws the other one out of alignment. Plus, you have to work from underneath the base to loosen the Z column, which I suspect flexes things just enough to add to the alignment issues.

      I know this is a complex issue, but any guidance would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Ken
    • GeneK
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2010
        Ken,
        I've got the monster mill, I built it a piece at a time. I think that the best approach is to shim under the base for X axis and to shim the column where it attaches to the face of the block. That way you will have only one axis at a time to work with. Also, it would be recommended to use a torque wrench to make sure the base is tightened the same each time to prevent 'chasing your tail' syndrome.

        If this is not clear just ask, I can take pictures to show my thinking.

        GeneK

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "KWC" <kencondal@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I bought an A2Z monster mill and am having problems aligning/tramming it. I was wondering if anyone else here had an A2Z mill or parts of one as Sherline upgrades.
        >
        > Unlike my Sherline 2000, the A2Z doesn't have adjustment screws etc. nor do they have much tech support. The only reference to alignment in the assembly docs is to use shims under the Z column.
        >
        > My Z column is out of alignment in both X and Y and after three days of shimming I've found that whatever correction I make on one axis throws the other one out of alignment. Plus, you have to work from underneath the base to loosen the Z column, which I suspect flexes things just enough to add to the alignment issues.
        >
        > I know this is a complex issue, but any guidance would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ken

      • Ken Condal
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2010
          Thanks for the suggestions Gene. I'll give them a try and keep you posted.

          _____

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "KWC" <kencondal@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I bought an A2Z monster mill and am having problems aligning/tramming it.
          I was wondering if anyone else here had an A2Z mill or parts of one as
          Sherline upgrades.

          > Unlike my Sherline 2000, the A2Z doesn't have adjustment screws etc. nor
          do they have much tech support. The only reference to alignment in the
          assembly docs is to use shims under the Z column.

          > My Z column is out of alignment in both X and Y and after three days of
          shimming I've found that whatever correction I make on one axis throws the
          other one out of alignment. Plus, you have to work from underneath the base
          to loosen the Z column, which I suspect flexes things just enough to add to
          the alignment issues.

          > I know this is a complex issue, but any guidance would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ken

        • Bruce
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hey guys
            I just bought A2Z's CNC Monster Mill too. Just got everything set up and was trying to figure out the best way to tram the z-clolumn to the table. How did you both end up getting yours aligned? I can only visualize shimming under the z-column and know that is going to be difficult for X and Y. I thought about shimming the column to align to the x-axis and shimming my tool table plate that I screw to the x-axis table slots for the y-axis. Any pics or further comment would be helpful.

            Bruce

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the suggestions Gene. I'll give them a try and keep you posted.
            >

            > _____

          • Bruce
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hey guys
              I just bought A2Z's CNC Monster Mill too. Just got everything set up and was trying to figure out the best way to tram the z-clolumn to the table. How did you both end up getting yours aligned? I can only visualize shimming under the z-column and know that is going to be difficult for X and Y. I thought about shimming the column to align to the x-axis and shimming my tool table plate that I screw to the x-axis table slots for the y-axis. Any pics or further comment would be helpful.

              Bruce

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the suggestions Gene. I'll give them a try and keep you posted.
              >

              > _____

            • Ken Condal
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2011
                Bruce,

                After trying to align my Monster Mill, I wrote to A2Z and asked them for
                advice. Here is Tim's response:

                "Do the alignment with the square and raising and lowering the head first
                and shim the base of the column for the adjustment."

                What Tim means is to put a DTI in the spindle and let it ride up and down
                along a square that is standing upright on the table. You then shim the Z
                column until the spindle is perfectly vertical to the table. You'll need to
                do this for forward/backward tilt as well as left/right tilt.

                "Once you have it tracking square then go to sweeping the plate on the table
                with the indicator in the spindle. This time to adjust use shims under the
                roughly 1/4" plate that is held to the Z saddle with the 10-32 flat head
                screws. This is the plate that the headstock spacer is attached to. For ease
                of figuring out the correct shims, you can just loosen the headstock spacer
                and shim under it. When you know your shim thickness and location you can
                then put them under the plate so they stay put."

                This is essentially the same procedure described in Joe Martin's book.

                Hope that helps,

                Ken

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
                  Ah ha! Now that makes sense. Thanks Ken.

                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

                  > Bruce,
                  >

                  > After trying to align my Monster Mill, I wrote to A2Z and asked them for
                  > advice. Here is Tim's response:
                  >

                  > "Do the alignment with the square and raising and lowering the head first
                  > and shim the base of the column for the adjustment."
                  >

                  > What Tim means is to put a DTI in the spindle and let it ride up and down
                  > along a square that is standing upright on the table. You then shim the Z
                  > column until the spindle is perfectly vertical to the table. You'll need to
                  > do this for forward/backward tilt as well as left/right tilt.
                  >

                  > "Once you have it tracking square then go to sweeping the plate on the table
                  > with the indicator in the spindle. This time to adjust use shims under the
                  > roughly 1/4" plate that is held to the Z saddle with the 10-32 flat head
                  > screws. This is the plate that the headstock spacer is attached to. For ease
                  > of figuring out the correct shims, you can just loosen the headstock spacer
                  > and shim under it. When you know your shim thickness and location you can
                  > then put them under the plate so they stay put."
                  >

                  > This is essentially the same procedure described in Joe Martin's book.
                  >

                  > Hope that helps,
                  >
                  > Ken
                  >

                  > _____

                • timgoldstein
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
                    --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bforgan@...> wrote:

                    > Hey guys
                    > I just bought A2Z's CNC Monster Mill too. Just got everything set up and was trying to figure out the best way to tram the z-clolumn to the table. How did you both end up getting yours aligned? I can only visualize shimming under the z-column and know that is going to be difficult for X and Y. I thought about shimming the column to align to the x-axis and shimming my tool table plate that I screw to the x-axis table slots for the y-axis. Any pics or further comment would be helpful.
                    >
                    > Bruce

                    The reality is our Monster Mill is the same design as a Sherline 5400 just with the parts beefed up and made longer. So the tramming and alignment is handled the same as Sheline outlines for their mill.

                    We are working on upgrading the 2.2" headstock riser to incorporate an adjustment to allow you to pull the keyway and square up the spindle after everything else is square. Will work on our Monster Mill version or on a factory Sherline mill. Probably a month out or so. New headstock spacers will have it incorporated out of the box. Existing customers will be able to purchase the add on adjuster and will only need to drill and tap a few holes into the 2.2" headstock spacer to add it on. As an upgrade we will be doing it at a special low price for prior purchasers of the 2.2" spacer.

                    We will likely offer it as a separate item for those that want to upgrade their Sherline factory 1" spacer to give an accurate and easy rotation alignment.

                    Tim Goldstein
                    A2Z Corp
                    A2Z CNC division
                    3955 S Mariposa St
                    Englewood CO 80110
                    720 833-9300
                    Toll Free 877 754-7465

                    www.A2ZCorp.us/store
                    USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
                    Specialized No Mar tools for the jewelry industry.
                  • wongsterwish
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
                      That's great!!! I'll be keeping a look out on your site.

                      Too little time available for this hobby of mine. Anything that help to speed things up (tramming, setting up etc) are welcome :)

                      Regards,
                      Wong

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
                        Great Tim
                        I'll look for the upgrade as you guys finish it up.
                        You had mentioned in your set up sheet to put a drop of Loctite Red on the tapered end portion of the leadscrew that will seat into the coupler. Loctite Red says if you ever need to get the parts apart that you need to heat up your parts to 500°F. Will that ever be necessary? Heating up the leadscrew may damage the coating on the lead screw.

                        Bruce

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
                          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bforgan@...> wrote:

                          > Great Tim
                          > I'll look for the upgrade as you guys finish it up.
                          > You had mentioned in your set up sheet to put a drop of Loctite Red on the tapered end portion of the leadscrew that will seat into the coupler. Loctite Red says if you ever need to get the parts apart that you need to heat up your parts to 500°F. Will that ever be necessary? Heating up the leadscrew may damage the coating on the lead screw.
                          >
                          > Bruce

                          Bruce,

                          While it is true that you have to use head to remove a red Loctited threaded fastener, here you are using it on the cone face. You want to make sure you DO NOT get any into the 5-40 threads. No need to heat to remove. All you do is take out the 5-40 screw that holds the CNC coupler to the end of the leadscrew then remove the two 8-32 screws that hold the CNC motor mount to the machine. Then just grab the motor mount twist it. Not round and round the way the leadscrew turns, but to the side, up, or down like you want to snap it off the end of the screw. That is exactly what happens. It snaps the Loctite and comes right off the end of the screw.

                          The reason for the red Loctite on the cone face is equally valid if you are using our Precision Leadscrew upgrade or stock factory Sherline parts with your CNC setup. That cone coupler interface was designed back when 130 oz/in or less motors were the norm. With the huge motors people are now using (and even with the 250 - low 300 size we recommend) the design is well past the torque it was designed to transmit. The Loctite eliminated slippage and loosening of the legacy coupler connection.

                          Regarding the 500 deg F number for getting out red Loctite on threaded fasteners, I have never heated that hot. More in the 200 - 300 range seems to soften it enough to do the job. BTW, the coating on the screws is Teflon which has a tremendous heat tolerance.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
                            Hi Tim,

                            I'm very interested in the adjustable alignment headstock you're working on
                            and was wondering if you could provide some more details about how the
                            adjustments would be made to align a mill. The reason I ask is because I've
                            been considering building an adapter for my own monster mill and will hold
                            off if your design solves my problem.

                            My design is based on the concept of aligning a 4-jaw chuck. As you loosen
                            one jaw and tighten the opposing one, you have an incredible amount of
                            control (sub .001") in setting the alignment. My design would incorporate
                            this concept so that you could "dial in" the exact X and Y adjustments using
                            opposing screws and without shims (or a hammer).

                            I have built a modification for the Z column alignment using a similar
                            concept and will upload some photos later today.

                            Thanks,

                            Ken

                            _____