RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Z axis Saddle Nut

  • Ken Condal
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
      Hi Wong,

      I'm talking about the 4017Z/4117Z saddle nut adjustment. The brass lever
      that applies tension to the leadscrew to compensate for backlash. No tools
      are needed.

      http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display
      <http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_
      id=728> &product_id=728

      Ken

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
        Hi Ken,

        I tried that the first time I have this problem. Adjusted it to many positions.

        I suspect the vibration comes from the 2 set screws not holding the saddle correctly. It is fine from the very top to the mid of the 15" column (yes, I upgraded mine to the Sherline 15" column and match it with the 18" table). The vibration started towards the lower end of the leadscrew. The adjustment was done with the saddle near the handwheel end of the leadscrew per Sherline's instruction.

        Regards,
        Wong

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

        > Hi Wong,
        >

        > I'm talking about the 4017Z/4117Z saddle nut adjustment. The brass lever
        > that applies tension to the leadscrew to compensate for backlash. No tools
        > are needed.
        >

        > http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display
        > <http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_
        > id=728> &product_id=728
        >

        > Ken
        >

        > _____

      • Ed Nisley
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
          > hearing the sound "thump" whenever I move my z-axis down

          There's also a nut clamping the leadscrew to the bearing by
          applying pressure against the motor coupler. When that works
          loose, the entire leadscrew + motor shaft moves in relation
          to the motor mount.

          I worked through that situation a while ago:

          http://softsolder.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/sherline-z-axis-
          backlash-check-the-bearing-preload-nut/

          Shorter link: http://wp.me/poZKh-Ip

          Now, as to the vibration, I have no suggestion... other than
          that if the Z-axis is loose, it'll move up and down when you
          start cutting.

          --
          Ed
        • wongsterwish
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
            Hello Ed,

            Thanks for the link to your site.

            Spent sometime reading through the articles on your adjustments. I'll go through them a couple of times to make sure I understand what you were showing.

            One thing I did ensure when I fix up the motor mount with the longer column bed; the nut is snug against the lower bearing with no play. I also loctite it as suggested on Sherline's site.

            I do hope to see more of such sites like Dave Hylands' and yours with information pertaining to Sherline's machines.

            Thanks again.
            Wong

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Nisley <ed.08.nisley@...> wrote:

            > > hearing the sound "thump" whenever I move my z-axis down
            >
            > There's also a nut clamping the leadscrew to the bearing by
            > applying pressure against the motor coupler. When that works
            > loose, the entire leadscrew + motor shaft moves in relation
            > to the motor mount.
            >
            > I worked through that situation a while ago:
            >
            > http://softsolder.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/sherline-z-axis-
            > backlash-check-the-bearing-preload-nut/
            >
            > Shorter link: http://wp.me/poZKh-Ip
            >
            > Now, as to the vibration, I have no suggestion... other than
            > that if the Z-axis is loose, it'll move up and down when you
            > start cutting.
            >
            > --
            > Ed

          • Rhys Fastiggi
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
              Sometimes the bolts holding the brass saddle onto the mill get loose. Check
              everything is tight first.

              Rhys

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
                Hi Rhys,

                I know this may sound silly, but how tight should I turn the screws?

                If I am to purchase those adjustable torque wrenches, would they help?

                Regards,
                Wong