Re: Z axis Saddle Nut

  • wongsterwish
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
      Hi Ken,

      Do you mean backing off the longer screw in the centre that holds the saddle to the brass nut or the setscrews to it's left and right? I playing with that 3 screws for many hours but I just couldn't seem to get them right.

      Regards,
      Wong

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

      > My machine was acting a bit like that last week. It seems (to me) that the
      > saddle nut adjustment on the z-axis is quite sensitive. I backed it off a
      > hair (loosened it), lubricated the lead screw and the symptoms cleared up.
      >

      > _____

    • Ken Condal
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
        Hi Wong,

        I'm talking about the 4017Z/4117Z saddle nut adjustment. The brass lever
        that applies tension to the leadscrew to compensate for backlash. No tools
        are needed.

        http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display
        <http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_
        id=728> &product_id=728

        Ken

        _____

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "Ken Condal" <kencondal@...> wrote:

        > My machine was acting a bit like that last week. It seems (to me) that the
        > saddle nut adjustment on the z-axis is quite sensitive. I backed it off a
        > hair (loosened it), lubricated the lead screw and the symptoms cleared up.
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>
        > I've been hearing the sound "thump" whenever I move my z-axis down. No
        sound
        > heard while moving the axis up. When the spindle gets close to the table,
        > the machine started to vibrate. So far I couldn't pin point the source of
        > the sound and vibration.
        >
        > Someone suggested that the brass saddle nut has been worn. But I have not
        > use the mill much since I bought it last year.
        >
        > How do I check or start my investigation? Appreciate any input and
        > suggestions.
        >
        > Regards,

      • wongsterwish
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
          Hi Ken,

          I tried that the first time I have this problem. Adjusted it to many positions.

          I suspect the vibration comes from the 2 set screws not holding the saddle correctly. It is fine from the very top to the mid of the 15" column (yes, I upgraded mine to the Sherline 15" column and match it with the 18" table). The vibration started towards the lower end of the leadscrew. The adjustment was done with the saddle near the handwheel end of the leadscrew per Sherline's instruction.

        • Ed Nisley
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
            > hearing the sound "thump" whenever I move my z-axis down

            There's also a nut clamping the leadscrew to the bearing by
            applying pressure against the motor coupler. When that works
            loose, the entire leadscrew + motor shaft moves in relation
            to the motor mount.

            I worked through that situation a while ago:

            http://softsolder.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/sherline-z-axis-
            backlash-check-the-bearing-preload-nut/

            Shorter link: http://wp.me/poZKh-Ip

            Now, as to the vibration, I have no suggestion... other than
            that if the Z-axis is loose, it'll move up and down when you
            start cutting.

            --
            Ed
          • wongsterwish
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
              Hello Ed,

              Thanks for the link to your site.

              Spent sometime reading through the articles on your adjustments. I'll go through them a couple of times to make sure I understand what you were showing.

              One thing I did ensure when I fix up the motor mount with the longer column bed; the nut is snug against the lower bearing with no play. I also loctite it as suggested on Sherline's site.

              I do hope to see more of such sites like Dave Hylands' and yours with information pertaining to Sherline's machines.

              Thanks again.
              Wong

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Nisley <ed.08.nisley@...> wrote:

              > > hearing the sound "thump" whenever I move my z-axis down
              >
              > There's also a nut clamping the leadscrew to the bearing by
              > applying pressure against the motor coupler. When that works
              > loose, the entire leadscrew + motor shaft moves in relation
              > to the motor mount.
              >
              > I worked through that situation a while ago:
              >
              > http://softsolder.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/sherline-z-axis-
              > backlash-check-the-bearing-preload-nut/
              >
              > Shorter link: http://wp.me/poZKh-Ip
              >
              > Now, as to the vibration, I have no suggestion... other than
              > that if the Z-axis is loose, it'll move up and down when you
              > start cutting.
              >
              > --
              > Ed

            • Rhys Fastiggi
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
                Sometimes the bolts holding the brass saddle onto the mill get loose. Check
                everything is tight first.

                Rhys

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010
                  Hi Rhys,

                  I know this may sound silly, but how tight should I turn the screws?

                  If I am to purchase those adjustable torque wrenches, would they help?

                  Regards,
                  Wong