Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: Newbie Needs Help Getting Started

  • Tom Wade
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2010
      Some of the better computers available are the old "point of sale"
      computers, which are replaced. Loads of power for running EMC2,
      generally come in a real small case, and always have a parallel printer
      port. They are generally available real cheap, and are good for years in
      the future.

      Tom Wade
      Hope, Indiana

      On 7/31/2010 9:44 AM, Michael wrote:

      > Lots of good information in this post. I too am looking at making pens
      > (I have a lathe already :-) ), however I have not yet bought the mill.
      > (I am still trying to decide if I want another computer in my house,
      > or can I use an existing machine :-| (Recommendations anyone?) ).
      >
      > In either case, can you relate any of your experiences with the
      > programs / mill? Anything you might have seen on set up that?
      >
      > ps. Sorry for any faux pas in advance :-)
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, "yupak12" <bildio@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I see a procedure I can use to make pockets in pens.
      > >
      > > How do I cut a simple shape, e.g., elongated diamond, from a slab of
      > material, e.g., 1/16" thick to be the inlay? Do I use the engraving
      > MOP, and make repeated cuts to just over 1/16"?
      > >
      > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Victor Guerra <vguerrao@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Cambam does both things, check the examples. It takes you from
      > drawing an
      > > > object to produce g-code. Thera is a great tutorial video also.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers
      > > >
      > > > Víctor.

      > shapes to

      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>
      > <SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Victor

      > want.

      > get it early

      > simple shape

      > read, I need
      > package(s)
      > computer. I

      > > > --
      > > > Atentamente,
      > > >
      > > > Dr. Victor M Guerra Ortiz

    • yupak12
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
        Anyone used Vectric VCarve Pro?

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "yupak12" <bildio@...> wrote:

        > I purchased the Complete CNC Mill System (#8540A). Should get it early next week.
        >
        > I'm focused on pen making. I want to use the mill to cut simple shape pockets in pens, cut the inlay, & make 6 & 8 flat sided pens.
        >
        > I need suggestions as to what software to purchase for drawing & milling simple shapes, e.g., an elongated diamond. From what I've read, I need a drawing application to start the process, & an application package(s) that will generate the g-code that I load into the Sherline mill computer. I need help to make sure I get the right stuff.
        >
        > Bill

      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
          I've not used it, but met a couple of guys at the cnc seminar 6 weeks
          ago who used it. One displayed some awesome work which had been
          generated by it.

          Tom Wade
          Hope, Indiana