Re: [SherlineCNC] Cutter Compensation

  • Tom Wade
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2010
      Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?

      Tom Wade

      On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:

      > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
      > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
      > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
      > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
      > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
      > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

    • Rich Dean
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2010
        What control program are you using?
        Does it support G40's?
        Is there a tool table? Have you entered the tool data? (T1, T2, T3, etc)
        Have you cancelled any previous G41/G42 with G40? These ar modal.
        -=RichD=-

      • vhatch312@cox.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2010
          I am using the EMC control program as it came from Sherline. I have entered various tools in the tool table and reference them with the "D1" command for example. I use G40 previous to using G41/G42. Regardless of what diameter I have for the tool, other than zero, as soon as the G41/G42 D1 is invoked I get an error message and the code stops running. If I use D0 or enclose the compensation statement in parenthesis the code runs.

          I have used examples straight from the EMC user guide and from a CAM program as well and they will not run if a cutter compensation command is active. Is this a common problem with EMC? Is it better to switch to Windows and Mach 3.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2010
            I am using a lead-in; however, it may be the problem. I have copied code straight from the EMC user guide and it will not run either. I have demo versions of FlashCut and Mach 3 and the code runs well on them.

            ---- Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
            > Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?
            >
            > Tom Wade
            >

            > On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:
            > >
            > > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
            > > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
            > > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
            > > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
            > > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
            > > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

          • Adam Collins
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2010
              The cutter comp or G41/42 on most full size machine tool controllers is a rapid move.  You need to always apply your tool diameter offsets before the tool enters the workpiece (or above the Z axis if your part's surface is Z "0").

              Adam

              ________________________________

              ---- Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
              > Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?
              >
              > Tom Wade
              >

              > On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:
              > >
              > > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
              > > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
              > > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
              > > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
              > > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
              > > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

            • Larry Miller
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 2010
                On May 7, 2010, at 6:08 AM, <vhatch312@...> <vhatch312@...>
                wrote:

                > I am using the EMC control program as it came from Sherline. I have
                > entered various tools in the tool table and reference them with the
                > "D1" command for example. I use G40 previous to using G41/G42.
                > Regardless of what diameter I have for the tool, other than zero,
                > as soon as the G41/G42 D1 is invoked I get an error message and the
                > code stops running. If I use D0 or enclose the compensation
                > statement in parenthesis the code runs.
                >
                > I have used examples straight from the EMC user guide and from a
                > CAM program as well and they will not run if a cutter compensation
                > command is active. Is this a common problem with EMC? Is it better
                > to switch to Windows and Mach 3.

                EMC2 is probably unique in that it WILL NOT ("thou shalt not") let
                you do any mal-formed move:

                1) Part radius smaller than cutter radius

                2) Not enough lead-in and lead-out moves to avoid gouging the part

                The trick is learning the rules; once you do that, you have no
                problems. Until then, frustration!!!! I think other programs may give
                you a warning, but then let you over-ride so that you can see where
                the problem is and how severe it is.

                One thing I learned experimentally is that if you try to RUN a
                program with a problem it won't do it, and you have no clue where the
                problem is. However, you can STEP through the program until you get
                to the point where the look-ahead for radius compensation "sees" a
                problem (can be several moves downstream). This is useful if you are
                trying to debug a long G-code sequence.

                In general, EMC2's error messages are typical UNIX weenie-- that is,
                non-existent or incomprehensible.

                Graham Hollis correctly sussed out the radius compensation entrance
                and exit sequences in D2NC to make EMC2 happy. I suggest that you
                either buy the program or D/L the free trial and look at the
                generated G-code. Personally, I have found D2NC very useful for most
                things I do (It has its own learning curve, of course). If you are
                not doing 3-D contouring its many path generation tools let you
                easily assemble up complex part paths.

                Another thing about Sherline's MINI interface. They don't seem to
                have implemented a number of the keystroke commands (you have to
                click with a mouse). The AXIS interface used for the lathe is much
                more complete. Anybody else notice this?

                Larry Miller