Cutter Compensation

  • Vaughn
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2010
      I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.
    • Tom Wade
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2010
        Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?

        Tom Wade

        On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:

        > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
        > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
        > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
        > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
        > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
        > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

      • Rich Dean
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2010
          What control program are you using?
          Does it support G40's?
          Is there a tool table? Have you entered the tool data? (T1, T2, T3, etc)
          Have you cancelled any previous G41/G42 with G40? These ar modal.
          -=RichD=-

        • vhatch312@cox.net
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2010
            I am using the EMC control program as it came from Sherline. I have entered various tools in the tool table and reference them with the "D1" command for example. I use G40 previous to using G41/G42. Regardless of what diameter I have for the tool, other than zero, as soon as the G41/G42 D1 is invoked I get an error message and the code stops running. If I use D0 or enclose the compensation statement in parenthesis the code runs.

            I have used examples straight from the EMC user guide and from a CAM program as well and they will not run if a cutter compensation command is active. Is this a common problem with EMC? Is it better to switch to Windows and Mach 3.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2010
              I am using a lead-in; however, it may be the problem. I have copied code straight from the EMC user guide and it will not run either. I have demo versions of FlashCut and Mach 3 and the code runs well on them.

              ---- Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
              > Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?
              >
              > Tom Wade
              >

              > On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:
              > >
              > > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
              > > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
              > > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
              > > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
              > > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
              > > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

            • Adam Collins
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 2010
                The cutter comp or G41/42 on most full size machine tool controllers is a rapid move.  You need to always apply your tool diameter offsets before the tool enters the workpiece (or above the Z axis if your part's surface is Z "0").

                Adam

                ________________________________

                ---- Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:
                > Are you giving a lead-in cut before you invoke the cutter offset?
                >
                > Tom Wade
                >

                > On 5/6/2010 9:23 PM, Vaughn wrote:
                > >
                > > I am unable to use G41 or G42 cutter compensation regardless of the
                > > origin of the code (CAM, textbook example etc.) unless I set the tool
                > > diameter to 0. If I have any diameter what so ever I get a tool
                > > gouging or inside radius with cutter comp error and the program will
                > > not run. Does anyone have any suggetstions. The code runs fine on
                > > FlashCut or Mach3 demo programs.

              • Larry Miller
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2010
                  On May 7, 2010, at 6:08 AM, <vhatch312@...> <vhatch312@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am using the EMC control program as it came from Sherline. I have
                  > entered various tools in the tool table and reference them with the
                  > "D1" command for example. I use G40 previous to using G41/G42.
                  > Regardless of what diameter I have for the tool, other than zero,
                  > as soon as the G41/G42 D1 is invoked I get an error message and the
                  > code stops running. If I use D0 or enclose the compensation
                  > statement in parenthesis the code runs.
                  >
                  > I have used examples straight from the EMC user guide and from a
                  > CAM program as well and they will not run if a cutter compensation
                  > command is active. Is this a common problem with EMC? Is it better
                  > to switch to Windows and Mach 3.

                  EMC2 is probably unique in that it WILL NOT ("thou shalt not") let
                  you do any mal-formed move:

                  1) Part radius smaller than cutter radius

                  2) Not enough lead-in and lead-out moves to avoid gouging the part

                  The trick is learning the rules; once you do that, you have no
                  problems. Until then, frustration!!!! I think other programs may give
                  you a warning, but then let you over-ride so that you can see where
                  the problem is and how severe it is.

                  One thing I learned experimentally is that if you try to RUN a
                  program with a problem it won't do it, and you have no clue where the
                  problem is. However, you can STEP through the program until you get
                  to the point where the look-ahead for radius compensation "sees" a
                  problem (can be several moves downstream). This is useful if you are
                  trying to debug a long G-code sequence.

                  In general, EMC2's error messages are typical UNIX weenie-- that is,
                  non-existent or incomprehensible.

                  Graham Hollis correctly sussed out the radius compensation entrance
                  and exit sequences in D2NC to make EMC2 happy. I suggest that you
                  either buy the program or D/L the free trial and look at the
                  generated G-code. Personally, I have found D2NC very useful for most
                  things I do (It has its own learning curve, of course). If you are
                  not doing 3-D contouring its many path generation tools let you
                  easily assemble up complex part paths.

                  Another thing about Sherline's MINI interface. They don't seem to
                  have implemented a number of the keystroke commands (you have to
                  click with a mouse). The AXIS interface used for the lathe is much
                  more complete. Anybody else notice this?

                  Larry Miller