RE: [SherlineCNC] live cd download: was EMC acting like Windows

  • Chris Morley
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 5, 2010
      >>Doug
      >>you can download a cd (iso) of the latest linux + emc2 configured for the sherline mill and lathe here

      >>http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1MAR0WM7

      >>when you boot from the cd you get the option to either start linux from the cd (no installation) or make a full install. therefore you >>can try it out without removing your current installation. I use it this way on a winxp pc.

      >>regards

      >>dan pines

      here is the web site for EMC2 to burn a live cd version. there is lots of info on emc2 on website as well as a forum:

      http://linuxcnc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=4&lang=en

    • a3sigma
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5, 2010
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Putman" <dan@...> wrote:

        > Doug,
        >
        > Yes you can upgrade to the latest Sherline software.
        >
        > I upgraded from Debian to the current Ubuntu EMC2 from Sherline.
        >

        > I use the "Mini" interface to EMC2. In the current release from Sherline,
        > Axis is the default interface. I had to edit emc.ini to make Mini the
        > default interface.

        Hello Doug and all,

        I upgraded my 6 year old turnkey Sherline system to Ubuntu and EMC2 about 4 months ago from http://www.linuxcnc.org/ Very smooth install, no problems at all.

        My first thought was to stick with the Mini interface since that was what I was used to. But some discussion on the EMC forum persuaded me to switch to Axis, and I'm very glad I did. The MDI memory is a real time saver, and the tool path graphics more useful. Most important, all of the keyboard shortcuts work, and you can jog multiple axes simultaneously. Try it, you'll like it.

        David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
      • rundell_doug
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 10, 2010
          Well, I finally put in a new video card, but the best improvement was a new monitor. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!!! Now I can see the words on the screen. Now I need to get net access for this thing so I can git the updates, or maybe I should leave well enough alone.

          Billy Bob (Doug)

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Putman" <dan@...> wrote:

          > If you bought in 2004 then you are probably running Debian Linux not that
          > this matters. *Sherline released a new disk late 2009 that has a later
          > version of emc2 and uses Ubuntu Linux.
          >
          > On my Debian Sherline setup, after I have inserted a cd, an icon shows up on
          > the desktop.
          >
          > Click on this icon with the righthand mouse button this should open up a
          > menu, using the mouse's left button click mount.
          >
          > You should now be able to open the cd by left clicking on the icon with the
          > mouse.
          >
          > To open the file while running EMC: in auto mode select open, navigate to
          > the / directory then select cdrom, if all is as expected your files should
          > be listed in the file window. Select the file you want to run and have at
          > it. I have upgraded my machine to the Ubuntu kernel so I am writing from
          > memory. I know that the steps are correct the exact name of the "mountpoint"
          > cdrom could be cdrom0 or something close.
          >
          > You don't have to be a "Rocket Surgeon" to get the Sherline CNC system up
          > and running, you do need a generous dose of patience.
          >
          > Please report back your progress or lack of same.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Dan

        • rundell_doug
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 11, 2010
            Back to the same old problem, I have no access to the floppy or cd drives. Also, I would like to use the TkEMC interface and have changed that parameter in the .ini file but still get the AXIS interface. Also, there ain't no clock visable. Any help would be appricated.

            Thanks, Doug.

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "rundell_doug" <drundell1@...> wrote:

            > Well, I finally put in a new video card, but the best improvement was a new monitor. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!!! Now I can see the words on the screen. Now I need to get net access for this thing so I can git the updates, or maybe I should leave well enough alone.
            >
            > Billy Bob (Doug)
            >
            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Putman" <dan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If you bought in 2004 then you are probably running Debian Linux not that
            > > this matters. *Sherline released a new disk late 2009 that has a later
            > > version of emc2 and uses Ubuntu Linux.
            > >
            > > On my Debian Sherline setup, after I have inserted a cd, an icon shows up on
            > > the desktop.
            > >
            > > Click on this icon with the righthand mouse button this should open up a
            > > menu, using the mouse's left button click mount.
            > >
            > > You should now be able to open the cd by left clicking on the icon with the
            > > mouse.
            > >
            > > To open the file while running EMC: in auto mode select open, navigate to
            > > the / directory then select cdrom, if all is as expected your files should
            > > be listed in the file window. Select the file you want to run and have at
            > > it. I have upgraded my machine to the Ubuntu kernel so I am writing from
            > > memory. I know that the steps are correct the exact name of the "mountpoint"
            > > cdrom could be cdrom0 or something close.
            > >
            > > You don't have to be a "Rocket Surgeon" to get the Sherline CNC system up
            > > and running, you do need a generous dose of patience.
            > >
            > > Please report back your progress or lack of same.
            > >
            > > Best,
            > >
            > > Dan

          • rundell_doug
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 14, 2010
              I finally ran EMC2 and tried to fix the bugs. I don't care for the AXIX interface so I changed the .ini file to TzEMC. I still get the AXIS interface. I have A2Z CNC 5 tpi lead screws so I changed the .ini file input_scale (no output_scale?) from 16000 to 3200 on X and Y. My Z is still 20 tpi.
              The program does not seem to see ths changes I've made, and yes, I did save the changes. Any suggestions?