RE: [SherlineCNC] Is something more expensive than a SmoothStepper needed on my Taig??

  • Jeffrey T. Birt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      The SmoothStepper is a USB based 6 axis motion control board that generates
      step/direction type of output. It can drive any stepper/servo drive that
      takes step/direction inputs. It also has general usage inputs/outputs that
      can be used for switches, relays etc; on Port 3 it has inputs for an
      encoders (MPGs). It only talks to Mach at this point.

      The Galil board(s) can drive 2 to 8 axis ( depending on model) with a mix of
      stepper, servo (analog and/or digital), encoder inputs on each axis
      including auxiliary encoders on some models. They can be had in different
      forms such as PCI cards, Ethernet connectivity, etc. They are also a
      completely self contained motion controllers. You can write programs on the
      card itself (in their own scripting language) and it can run all on its own
      just sending messages to/from the PC or it can take motion commands from the
      PC (that is how Mach uses it).

      Jeffrey T. Birt

      Soigeneris.com

      304 Fox Creek Road

      Rolla, MO 65401

      573-647-9294

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
        I forgot to answer you main question. A SmoothStepper is a great choice for
        a Sherline/Taig machine. I build all my drive boxes with them and they work
        great.

        Jeffrey T. Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        304 Fox Creek Road

        Rolla, MO 65401

        573-647-9294

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey T. Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

          > I forgot to answer you main question. A SmoothStepper is a great choice for
          > a Sherline/Taig machine. I build all my drive boxes with them and they work
          > great.

          Hey Jeff, Is the smoothstepper backlash compensation working yet?

          Fred Smith - IMService
          http://www.imsrv.com
        • Jeffrey T. Birt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
            Nope, it is being worked on.

            Jeffrey T. Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            304 Fox Creek Road

            Rolla, MO 65401

            573-647-9294

            > I forgot to answer you main question. A SmoothStepper is a great choice
            for
            > a Sherline/Taig machine. I build all my drive boxes with them and they
            work
            > great.

            Hey Jeff, Is the smoothstepper backlash compensation working yet?

            Fred Smith - IMService
            http://www.imsrv.com

          • fly_boy_bc
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
              Found This on their site:

              "We are working very hard to get the initial production boards manufactured. The price of the SmoothStepper is $155 USD. The current state of the plugin is beta, but is getting close to a release state. Motion is very good, but a number of small details are being worked on to provide as close to 100% compatibility with the Parallel Port driver of Mach3 as possible.
              We appreciate your patience. "

              I believe I will wait until it is no longer considered a beta.

              Gary