Re: USB-TO-Parallel-Port-DIY-Interface

    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 4, 2010
      > Mike:
      >
      > You're missing the point. Jeff is only saying that a USB-to-Parallel port adapter cannot be used in place of a real parallel port, for CNC purposes.
      >
      > I have a Smoothstepper that "operates via USB"(actually, "connects to the PC via USB" would be a more correct term) also-and it perfectly simulates 2 parallel ports for CNC purposes. I don't think I could hook a printer to it, though.....
      >
      > The Rockler device evidently contains some kind of motion-control card or board(,maybe a Smoothstepper, maybe something else) that connects to the PC via USB. But it doesn't use a standard PC USB-to-Parallel dongle-type adapter, of that you can be sure.
      >
      > ______________________________________

      The Rockler machine has an NCPod in its control box. Its actually the
      CNCshark. A friend has one, it works OK, but its a pretty crude control-
      no way to stop a run and restart, poor control of setup and zeroing, etc.

      ron ginger

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4740 (20100103) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • sherlineheretic
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 25, 2010
        I'm sorry it took so long, but in my photos folder is the pic of the nut and antibacklash nut. Didn't hear how your project went. Did you make and install your own?
        Ken