RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: FlashCut mill-lathe stepper cable "switch box"?

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Brian,

      Yes, my lathe and mill systems are separate. As I use DB9 connectors on the
      motor cables, I do occasionally plug in one or two cables to my driver box
      for testing other stepper motor hardware. Fairly easy and quick with the
      DB9 connectors, probably not so easy with your connectors.

      All the cautions about switching motor wiring are valid. And one might even
      say don't be tempted to buy heavy duty 4DDT switches to accomplish the task.
      First thing you know (at least for me) you'll switch with the motor power
      on, and OOPS!

      How expensive is the motor driver box? I visited Flashcut many years ago,
      and really wanted one of their systems. Almost got to "check out" a system
      before shipping to Malaysia.

      Just as a note, if you can do "startup" of your CNC controller program
      (FlashCut) in two separate directory installs, then you can have two copies
      of the INI or config file (works for other systems as well), and simply run
      one or the other executable and get a different setup.

      > On Behalf Of cornbeltroute
      >
      > > Brian, there seems to be some confusion with your question. I read it
      > that you wish to swap 2 machines between the FC Driver box. That means the
      > motor driving currents will be changed to different motors. Others seem to
      > think you meant the driver DATA input cables. This assumes you have an FC
      > motor driver box for each machine. To clarify, which do you wish to do? <
      >
      > Rich, I have one driver box and two machines. It is the swap I was hoping
      > to accomplish, as you read it. I am a machining neophyte, and my
      > understanding of CNC and machine nomenclature is basic at best. So, I can
      > see how my question could be confusing.
      >
      > I purchased Sherline 2000 mill and 4400 lathe at the same time and shortly
      > thereafter bought a CNC mill and lathe hardware-software setup (including
      > steppers for both mill and lathe) from FlashCut.
      >
      > I thought it was a matter of making a simple mill cable X, Y, Z switch
      > with the lathe X, Y cables at the driver box (see photo, please: FILES >
      > FlashCut driver box.jpg. The mill is plugged into the driver box, lathe
      > cables are adjacent). But, I've taken note of your warning ("swapping to a
      > different machine, unless they are identical in motors, leadscrew pitches,
      > limit switches, spindle control, etc., requires a second controller
      > program setup"), and I will investigate further. Thanks much for the heads
      > up.
      >
      > So, most here use two PCs and two driver boxes, that is, separate mill and
      > lathe systems, as you describe, Alan?
      >
      > This is all coming up for me now because the lathe has been sitting,
      > unused, on a shelf. I have some projects requiring that I use it, though,
      > and I'm just now getting around to "plugging" it into my shop setup. I
      > truly appreciate the help.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > Brian Chapman
      > Evansdale, Iowa
    • Rich Dean
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2009
        Brian,
        OK. I can't recommend a mechanical switch to change machines. This would be a 4 pole 2 position type.
        There may be something suitable available, but the danger still remains that there is a question of good
        solid connection on all leads. Also the mistaken switching under power will definetly destroy the
        drivers.
        A second driver box is highly recommended. A good quality Data switch can then be used to change
        between drivers/machines. This can be done with multiplex chips as well.

        On my two mills I use 2 small laptops and dedicated drivers for each.

        BTW, a cnc lathe's axis' are X (cross slide) and Z (saddle feed). No Y.
        -=RichD=-