RE: [SherlineCNC] Spindle Control

  • Hamilton Elliott
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2009
      Thanks Peter.
      I'm looking forward to your results.
      D2nc is a handy inexpensive product and I think more flexible than the
      "ordinary" wizards and good for anyone who wants to produce Gcode quickly
      without having to sit down and draw in a cad program for items that are not
      too complicated.
      Hamilton

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
        Hi Peter,
        Any progress on the Sherline/Gecko 540 spindle speed control?

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
          Hi Hamilton,

          Almost. :(

          I've been distracted on the MB-02V4 board and a production issue. The G540
          test is in the front of my mind though. I hope to do it tonight.

          Cheers,

          Peter.

          Hamilton Elliott wrote:
          > Hi Peter,
          > Any progress on the Sherline/Gecko 540 spindle speed control?
          >
          > Hamilton

          http://www.homanndesigns.com
        • Peter Homann
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
            Hi Hamilton,

            Did the test. It's been running for 1/2 an hour and all is well.

            A few observation though. The KB120 usually develops about 15Vdc across the
            speed potentiometer. The supply for this is derived from a zener shunt
            regulator and delivers the 3mA required by the 5K ohm potentiometer.

            When I connect the G540, this supply voltage drops to a bit over 11 volts.
            This is due to the increased impedance of the G540 VFD circuitry. It is
            dragging down the supply.

            So in the end, there is less than 12V being fed into the G540 VFD circuit so
            it is not the 15V that I though it may be.

            Also as this supply voltage has been dragged down it means that the maximum
            spindle speed will also be reduced.

            So in the end I believe that it is safe to connect the G540 to a KB-120 speed
            controller in place of the manual speed potentiometer. BUT, I do NOT guarantee
            it. If you are unsure, contact Geckodrive and ask them if it is OK.

            I sent an email last week to Mariss of Geckodrive asking him this question but
            did not receive a reply (I rarely do unless I press).

            Cheers,

            Peter.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
              Hi Peter,

              Many thanks for doing that test at least I won't damage either by connecting
              it. I may do it with an option for switching back to manual speed control so
              that I can have max speed as well. If or when you develop your own Digispeed
              for this please drop me an email.
              Again thank you.

              -
              eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
              Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
              email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
              Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board

              06:48:00
            • mariss92705
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                The G540 analog output circuit uses an LMC6034 quad op-amp. Its maximum rated voltage is 16VDC and the circuit consumes 2mA. Avoid using a supply voltage greater than 12VDC.

                Mariss