enclosure ideas

  • Henry Liu
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
      I'm getting tired of cleaning up chips all over the plan and looking
      for ideas for an enclosure. I was thinking of a blast cabinet from
      Harbor Freight but then I thought why not a free standing shower
      stall?

      It has a door and easy to clean for sure. I've seen some for about
      $100-200 from Home Depot.

      Something more portable and I thought why not a shower tent for about
      $50 like this one:
      http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

      Any other ideas or suggestions?
    • Tom Hubin
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        Hello Henry,

        I made mine for easy disassembly to transport to shows like Cabin Fever
        in York PA.

        I used plywood for the base and PVC plumbing for the frame.

        Transparent shower curtain liners for the sides. I cut up two curtains
        to make four sides with some overlap at the corners. Cost $1 for each
        curtain at the dollar store. You need clear curtains if you want to
        observe through them.

        I made a large hole in the plywood near the front left corner for a
        large garden flex tube to act as a trash chute to the container on the
        floor. Normally covered with cardboard so that I don't drop a tool or
        part in by accident. Uncover and sweep the chips into the hole.

        Think of it has a shower and toilet for my Sherline mill. ;)

        I added a 2 inch high wall around the perimeter. The curtains hang with
        bottom edge inside the wall. Curtains are cut so they do not quite touch
        the base so that they hang nicely and don't bunch up at the bottom.

        Sometimes I flip the front curtain up over the top and sometimes I
        unhook the curtain from several hooks on the right half and flip the
        right half inside or outside the enclosure so I can access the mill.

        You gotta decide on how to route wiring. I cut a hole under the y axis
        stepper for the y axis wiring to feed under the base. I forgot to
        mention that there is a second base under the first base so that wiring
        can be routed between the two bases.

        The Z stepper and spindle wires just go over the top of the PVC plumbing.

        The X axis is tricky. I cut a hole in the base near the center of the
        stepper travel range in both x and y axes. I feed the x axis stepper
        wire through this hole but I leave enough slack above the base that the
        stepper motor can travel around without straining the wires.

        Chips fall down through the wiring holes. Not a problem until you
        disassemble to transport or modify. If I were to do it again I would
        come up with a better arrangement for the wires, just for the challenge.

        Must be some photos someplace. Maybe somebody got a photo at Cabin
        Fever. I can probably find and share my drawings.

        Tom Hubin
        thubin@...

        ***********

        Henry Liu wrote:

        > I'm getting tired of cleaning up chips all over the plan and looking
        > for ideas for an enclosure. I was thinking of a blast cabinet from
        > Harbor Freight but then I thought why not a free standing shower
        > stall?
        >
        > It has a door and easy to clean for sure. I've seen some for about
        > $100-200 from Home Depot.
        >
        > Something more portable and I thought why not a shower tent for about
        > $50 like this one:
        > http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a
        > <http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a>
        >
        > Any other ideas or suggestions?
      • Reid
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
          Tom,

          I would like to see those pictures.

          Reid

          On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Tom Hubin <thubin@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > disassemble to transport or modify. If I were to do it again I would
          > come up with a better arrangement for the wires, just for the challenge.
          >
          > Must be some photos someplace. Maybe somebody got a photo at Cabin
          > Fever. I can probably find and share my drawings.
          >
          > Tom Hubin
          > thubin@... <thubin%40earthlink.net>
          >
          > ***********
          >
          > Henry Liu wrote:
          > >

          > > I'm getting tired of cleaning up chips all over the plan and looking
          > > for ideas for an enclosure. I was thinking of a blast cabinet from
          > > Harbor Freight but then I thought why not a free standing shower
          > > stall?
          > >
          > > It has a door and easy to clean for sure. I've seen some for about
          > > $100-200 from Home Depot.
          > >
          > > Something more portable and I thought why not a shower tent for about

        • David Morrow
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
            I made a very low profile shield of thin, clear plastic. Even with flood coolant, most of the coolant and all of the chips are contained. If you go to the bottom of the page, you can see it. One of the shields in this picture is still a piece of hardboard which is what I used to mock things up for size and effectiveness. The front panel lifts off and the two end panels swivel down which takes all of about 5 seconds.

            http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/coolant/coolant.htm

            David

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Henry Liu <henryjliu@...> wrote:

            > I'm getting tired of cleaning up chips all over the plan and looking
            > for ideas for an enclosure. I was thinking of a blast cabinet from
            > Harbor Freight but then I thought why not a free standing shower
            > stall?
            >
            > It has a door and easy to clean for sure. I've seen some for about
            > $100-200 from Home Depot.
            >
            > Something more portable and I thought why not a shower tent for about
            > $50 like this one:
            > http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a
            >
            > Any other ideas or suggestions?

          • scmodelworks
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
              This is something that we plan to incorporate with our A2Z mill. One
              concept that we're looking at is to make an enclosure similar to what
              Haas and Fadal have on their milling centers. Here's a link to a local
              plastic fabricator near me and what he has done for similar needs:

              http://www.precisionlexan.com/Custom_Machine_Guards_p/machine-guard.htm

              HTH,
              Terry Wellman

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                I upload a pic to the sherline group for my $30 walmart tent setup. I
                really like it for small projects when I don't want to go to the big
                shop. I use the pockets to stash all the cables and just have 1
                extension cable out the front. It zips up to mill everything when in
                CNC mode. I mounted a magnetic base to my quickcam 9000 and use VNC
                to watch the job over the network when I want to do something else.

                It's easy to clean and if it gets too dirty, I'll just throw it away
                and I'll just be out $30 (then buy another one).

                The steel 3 shelf I got from Lowes and it's great. If you want, it's
                very easy to cut some sheets of plastic and bolt them to the frame.
                Cost $45 and easy to assemble. The computer + control is mounted on
                the top rack. That allows chips and stuff to fall through to the
                bottom rack. I'll probably add a pump + bucket on the lowest level.
                Then I can have some flood coolant going and it will just drain
                through to the bottom.

                All the chips are contained in the tent and visitors always think you're cool.

                Henry
              • Shortyl@btes.tv
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                  Can you send a link to this pix or which folder it is in. I can't find it

                  Thanks
                  Shorty

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                    My setup has a permanent back and then a three sided plexy surround that folds up like a Z. I had to work the hinges specially to allow it to fold that way. It simply lifts off and folds for easy storage and easy access to all parts of the machine. I wouldn't have it any other way. I can send a picture if you want.

                    Vince

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                      Vince,

                      I would be very interested in seeing your set up with the plexy surround.

                      Best regards,
                      Terry Wellman

                      Vince wrote:

                      > My setup has a permanent back and then a three sided plexy surround
                      > that folds up like a Z. I had to work the hinges specially to allow it
                      > to fold that way. It simply lifts off and folds for easy storage and
                      > easy access to all parts of the machine. I wouldn't have it any other
                      > way. I can send a picture if you want.
                      >
                      > Vince
                      >
                      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Henry Liu <henryjliu@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm getting tired of cleaning up chips all over the plan and looking
                      > > for ideas for an enclosure. I was thinking of a blast cabinet from
                      > > Harbor Freight but then I thought why not a free standing shower
                      > > stall?
                      > >
                      > > It has a door and easy to clean for sure. I've seen some for about
                      > > $100-200 from Home Depot.
                      > >
                      > > Something more portable and I thought why not a shower tent for about
                      > > $50 like this one:
                      > >
                      > http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a
                      > <http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000023694611P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Tents&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a>
                      > >
                      > > Any other ideas or suggestions?

                    • Alan Marconett
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                        There are some photos of my Plexiglas mill and lathe enclosures in the
                        files:

                        > On Behalf Of Vince
                        >
                        > My setup has a permanent back and then a three sided plexy surround that
                        > folds up like a Z. I had to work the hinges specially to allow it to fold
                        > that way. It simply lifts off and folds for easy storage and easy access
                        > to all parts of the machine. I wouldn't have it any other way. I can
                        > send a picture if you want.
                        >
                        > Vince
                      • Vince
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                          I have just uploaded some pictures of my CNC setup. They are still pending approval so it may be a while before the Vince album has any pictures in it.

                          You can't really see the hinges but there's a lot of ways to make hinges fold all the way back on themselves. You can buy special bent hinges for it or you can make your own that are on the edges... like a CD box hinge.

                          VK

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                            Did you get a look at the picture Terry?
                            The album is on the last page of albums and titled "Vince"

                            BTW, the glue-bot picture is not my home machine. That's something I did here at work for production work.