Re: Need Source for 4-axis Sherline/Mach3 CNC System

  • Phil M
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 12, 2009
      I would have to agree with Vince. I had a Sherline 2000 for about 10 years,
      and rigidity was always a problem. Mounting it on a heavy base might dampen
      some of the vibration, but will do nothing for rigidity where it matters. A
      few years ago I bought a used X2-class machine, rated at about the same
      spindle power, but it is a MUCH stronger machine. The work envelope is a
      little smaller, but I've run 3/4" end mills with 1/2" shanks on aluminum,
      and I don't think that would have been possible with the Sherline. It has an
      R8 spindle. Littlemachineshop.com carries ALL the replacement parts for this
      machine. The Sherline is a very neat, very precise machine for tiny jobs,
      but I kept running up against the size and power limitations. Any machine
      you run as CNC is going to require quite a lot more attention to keep it
      tuned up than a manual machine.
      --
      Phil Mattison

      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 18, 2009
        Thanks much Ron,

        I'll check them out more closely. At least with LMS there's a better chance that parts will be available than with some other suppliers. That said, I emailed them last week to see if I could buy a head assembly for either the KX1 or KX3 to mount on my Shopbot Buddy but I never heard back at all so maybe they're not carrying parts yet with the machines just in.

        Thanks kindly,
        Gerry