Re: Need Source for 4-axis Sherline/Mach3 CNC System

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 11, 2009
      You might also look at Taig and just see if it offers more for your situation. It has more steel components and a much larger column. I think guys who have both the lathe and mill like the sherline because so many accessories & components are interchangeable where the Taig is not.

      There's also a place called Syil (do a google on it) Who makes CNC machines out of the bench top size cast iron machines.

      The idea that bolting a sherline to a steel or granite base is going to make the whole machine more rigid is wishful thinking. If the machine is not rigid enough it never will be.

      Vince

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "goodoljer" <gvowles@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > >

      > > > 1. Can anyone recommend a reputable, established system supplier(s) who can sell me a complete, turn-key system WITHOUT trying to switch me to their own or some other control software and operating system? Unfortunately, a couple of the well known suppliers I've tried have chosen to not respond to my requests because I specified Mach3 only. Perhaps business is really good for them right now, which is great news in a bad economy.
      > > >

      > > > 2. I'm considering switching the lead screws to Kerk lead screws (not ball screws) and anti-backlash nuts. Has anyone actually done this on a Sherline CNC setup and, more importantly, was it worth it for you and in what ways?
      > > >

      > > > 3. I'm considering bolting the mill and lathe onto marble flat surfaces to maximize rigidity and accuracy. Again, has anyone done this or something similar (without the need for shimming) and was it worth it?
      > > >

      > > > 4. I'm wondering what the most suitable size of stepper motor is. I'm looking for good (but not crazy) speed and want to minimize the possibility of lost steps. Also, good quality. Vexta seem to be the best. Does anyone have experience with these on a Sherline setup? Are there other highly rated ones, perhaps Rex? What I've read is that it will cost a few bucks more but the best combination for better speeds and decently sustained torque will come from bipolar motors operating in parallel mode.
      > > >
      > > > 5. Can a high output power supply & controller setup be used to safely drive these small systems? I'm impressed with the Novakon SmartDrive which comes with the computer built into the box and the full, licensed version of Mach 3 preloaded. It comes with four Gecko 203's. However, here's the key question - it provides up to 75 volts to each motor and I simply don't know enough about electricity and electronics to know whether this would turn Sherline machines into spaghetti, burn up the steppers or what. I'm not questioning whether or not I need this much power to run a Sherline, we know I don't :-) Rather, it is a question of whether or not I can do it safely and what the results are likely to be. Can someone with expertise in this field provide some guidance in lay terms on this question?
      > > >

      > > > 6. While I do want to be careful about spending, My priority is not looking to save a few bucks here and there by cutting corners, building the system myself, going with the lowest cost steppers, drivers, connectors, etc. However, that said, I do want to get quotes because I'm aware that a number of suppliers offer sizable discounts, especially if they are providing complete, turn-key packages.
      > > >

      > > > Thanks kindly in advance for your advise, it's much appreciated.

    • goodoljer
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 18, 2009
        Thanks much Ron,

        I'll check them out more closely. At least with LMS there's a better chance that parts will be available than with some other suppliers. That said, I emailed them last week to see if I could buy a head assembly for either the KX1 or KX3 to mount on my Shopbot Buddy but I never heard back at all so maybe they're not carrying parts yet with the machines just in.

        Thanks kindly,
        Gerry