Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: New here, saying Hi.

  • Rich Dean
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 19, 2009
      What I meant to say was to be careful that the wire does comes out with the
      gib as sometimes it will be stuck as well. Just keep an eye on it.
      -=RichD=-

      crackerkorean wrote:
      > The keeper pin being the locking wire? I thought once the screw was removed the gib could be moved.
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Rich Dean <toolman8@...> wrote:
      >> Take a small pin punch like object and reach into the other end
      >> and tap the gib to knock it loose.
      >> Be sure to remove the keeper pin first.
      >> -=RichD=-
      >>
      >> crackerkorean wrote:
      >>> I am hoping to take it apart this weekend. I loosened the gib screw
      >> but I cannot mmove the gib at all. I am wondering if this is whats making
      >>
      >> it o difficult to move this axis.
    • crackerkorean
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 20, 2009
        I was able to remove the cross slide and then was able to remove the gib. That seemed to be the problem. Through when i use it manualy to face anything in the chuck once the facing is finished and when retracting the tool without moving the Z axis at all it seems to run into the work piece again.

        Also when turning an OD i see regular chatter still even when using the tool manually. I am just wondering if there are some more adjustments that I might need to make. I do have to say it is behaving better though.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 20, 2009
          cracker (?)
          the gib should be inserted just enough to cause a little drag on the slide.
          Grab hold of the slide and try to twist it side to side. No movement should be
          evident.
          The slide should not wobble about as you describe as the leadscrew is turned.
          -=RichD=-

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 21, 2009
            Cracker is fine or mike lol.
            I inserted the gib a little more but still getting the movement and its getting tough to move the cross slide. I was actually getting movement initially when the gib was crammed in. Is it possible the cross slide is worn out? The anodizing still looked good.

            I also noticed that there is no backlash adjustment per the the sherline site. Granted its taken up in the software but could I add one?

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 21, 2009
              Mike,
              I haven't been following this entire thread, but is this a new lathe?
              If the black anodizing is intact then all I can suggest is maybe the plastic
              tapered gib is trashed???
              Also, I have had a case of a mill base that did not perform correctly. On close
              inspection I discovered it may have been dropped and the dovetail was bent down
              causing severe binding at one end.
              Check it out with a straight edge ( a good Starrett 6" rule or ground parallel).
              The lathe has no B/L adjust nut like the mills as the cutting load is always (!)
              in one direction.
              NOT! My next mod to my cnc'd lathe.
              -=RichD=-

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 23, 2009
                It isnt new, it came from a school so who knows what kind of history it has.

                I think I might try to tighten the gib on the saddle a little and see if that helps at all.

                Is there a way to retro fit a backlash adjustment on the cross slide since mine is lacking one?

                Hopefully this weekend I can actually start machining things. As time goes I want to upgrade the spindle motor and steppers and change to some other software, drivers , and controllers etc.
              • crackerkorean
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 26, 2009
                  I tightened the saddle gib and I am still having issues. I put a straight edge on a piece that I faced and its cupped. The center of the piece is lower than the edge.

                  Could it be a lead screw problem?
                • Rich Dean
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 26, 2009
                    That would indicate the spindle head is not squarely aligned with the bed.
                    -=RichD=-

                    crackerkorean wrote:
                    > I tightened the saddle gib and I am still having issues. I put a straight edge on a piece that I faced and its cupped. The center of the piece is lower than the edge.
                    >
                    > Could it be a lead screw problem?
                  • Andy Wander
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 26, 2009
                      As I understand it, this is part of the spec on a lathe.

                      The point being, you will never make it perfect(spindle at a perfect 90 degrees to the cross-slide travel). If you face a piece and it is slightly dished, it will sit flat on another piece, but if it is domed instead, it will rock.

                      It should be just a slight amount, though.

                      Andy Wander
                      ]