Re: 10k Pulley Upgrade -> Hot Spindle

  • Schuyler Greenawalt
    Message 1 of 24 , May 12, 2009
      I ordered my bearings this morning, and being in California, I'm hopeful they'll get here in a day or two. Anyone have any input regarding my motor noise question in my second post? Does a Sherline motor tend to vibrate a bit when run completely unloaded, or are there bearings in the motor that can go bad as well?

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dan,
      >
      > My mill spindle is just starting to make a little noise. I'm starting to
      > think I may want to replace the bearings sometime.
      >
      > Please let us know of your experiences when you put in the new bearings!
      >
      > Alan KM6VV

    • Schuyler Greenawalt
      Message 2 of 24 , May 13, 2009
        Rich -

        The sound I was getting was a bit more like a resonant frequency - kinda like a shot bearing :( I'll play around with it a little more and see if I can figure out what's up.

        -Sky

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Rich Dean <toolman8@...> wrote:

        > Sky,
        > the sound should be like any brush motor, but since these a fully enclosed it will
        > be a muffled whirring sound.
        > Opening these motors to replace brushes and bearing is not easy due to the
        > vsery strong magnet pull on the armature. The brushes must be released and removed
        > first and that is the most frustrating part. Damage is very easy and almost a
        > sure thing.
        > Sherline has a doc explaining the method.
        > -=RichD=-
        >
        > Schuyler Greenawalt wrote:
        > > Anyone have an opinion about how much noise an unloaded Sherline motor should make? When I ran my motor completely unattached to the spindle the other night, I definitely noticed some noise coming from it as well - but I really don't have a reference against a new one so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Also, doesn't seem like you can just replace the bearings in the motor - at least not off of the Sherline site - since they consider the entire motor to be one item.
        > >
        > > -Sky

      • Tom Hubin
        Message 3 of 24 , May 13, 2009
          My Sherline spindle motor started overheating about a year ago. It was also making a slight grinding sound. Brushes looked ok to me but I replaced them anyway. No change. Still noisy and running too hot to touch in 20 minutes at 2000rpm. Usually trips the thermal protection at that point.

          After ordering the brushes I remembered that that I have a seldom used Sherline lathe. I swapped the lathe spindle motor to the mill and have had no problems since. Run at 2800 rpm for hours. Warm to the touch.

          The original with the mill has brushes that are easily changed. The old lathe spindle is the older style Sherline motor with brushes not easily changed.

          For the cost of the new brushes I would have preferred to put that toward a replacement motor. I never got around to asking Sherline if there is a warranty that covers repair or replacement or if they have a fee for repair.

          I am pretty sure that my overheating spindle motor problem is the bearings. However, I don't think they are easily replaced. Next order from Sherline I will probably get a new motor cuz I am tired of swapping my one old motor and spindle between the two machines.

          Tom Hubin
          thubin@...

          ***********************

          >The sound I was getting was a bit more like a resonant frequency - kinda like a shot bearing :( I'll play around with it a little more and see if I can figure out what's up.
          >
          >-Sky
          >
          >--- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Rich Dean <toolman8@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Sky,
          >> the sound should be like any brush motor, but since these a fully enclosed it will
          >> be a muffled whirring sound.
          >> Opening these motors to replace brushes and bearing is not easy due to the
          >> vsery strong magnet pull on the armature. The brushes must be released and removed
          >> first and that is the most frustrating part. Damage is very easy and almost a
          >> sure thing.
          >> Sherline has a doc explaining the method.
          >> -=RichD=-
          >>
          >> Schuyler Greenawalt wrote:
          >> > Anyone have an opinion about how much noise an unloaded Sherline motor should make? When I ran my motor completely unattached to the spindle the other night, I definitely noticed some noise coming from it as well - but I really don't have a reference against a new one so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Also, doesn't seem like you can just replace the bearings in the motor - at least not off of the Sherline site - since they consider the entire motor to be one item.
          >> >
          >> > -Sky

        • dan pines
          Message 4 of 24 , May 13, 2009
            A couple of years ago I had a chance to disassemble a sherline motor which was damaged (the rotor contacts) by being used with completely ruined brushes.

            1. it has 2 bearings, easy to remove / replace
            2. disassembly (after removal of brushes) is simple, just remove the long bolts and pull apart.
            3. assembly is a little more tricky because the long bolts are attracted by the magnet as you insert them. you need to fiddle a bit to get them to go straight into their designated holes.

            there was no point (costwise) in trying to repair it as a motor so I removed whatever was not needed, turned a new longer shaft, drilled the casing on the "blind" side to let the new shaft go through, reaasembled with home made pulleys on both ends and ended up with a usable "speed reducing headstock" for another project.

            regards
            dan pines
            sherline distributor Israel
            http://www.dan-pines.blogspot.com/

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Schuyler Greenawalt" <skyg@...> wrote:

            > I ordered my bearings this morning, and being in California, I'm hopeful they'll get here in a day or two. Anyone have any input regarding my motor noise question in my second post? Does a Sherline motor tend to vibrate a bit when run completely unloaded, or are there bearings in the motor that can go bad as well?
            >
            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Dan,
            > >
            > > My mill spindle is just starting to make a little noise. I'm starting to
            > > think I may want to replace the bearings sometime.
            > >
            > > Please let us know of your experiences when you put in the new bearings!
            > >
            > > Alan KM6VV

          • Rich Dean
            Message 5 of 24 , May 14, 2009
              Sky,

              Schuyler Greenawalt wrote:
              > Anyone have an opinion about how much noise an unloaded Sherline motor should make? When I ran my motor completely unattached to the spindle the other night, I definitely noticed some noise coming from it as well - but I really don't have a reference against a new one so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Also, doesn't seem like you can just replace the bearings in the motor - at least not off of the Sherline site - since they consider the entire motor to be one item.
              >
              > -Sky
            • Rich Dean
              Message 6 of 24 , May 14, 2009
                Sky,
                the motor is very good quality and should run with no vibration. Also, the
                controller is by KB Electronics. The best on the market.
                I'm assuming you have the newer permag type with internal brush holders
                rather than the old universal AC/DC motor with small rheostat box control.
                -=RichD=-

                Schuyler Greenawalt wrote:
                > I ordered my bearings this morning, and being in California, I'm hopeful they'll

                get here in a day or two. Anyone have any input regarding my motor noise
                uestion in my second post? Does a Sherline motor tend to vibrate a bit when

                run completely unloaded, or are there bearings in the motor that can go bad as well?
              • Kenny
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 10, 2009
                  Hi,

                  As promised, this is the status of my headstock after replacing the bearings
                  with new ones purchased from Sherline.
                  First I would like to make it clear that I did not have any noticeable
                  problems when using the standard pulleys and speeds - neither noise or heat.
                  The bearing replacement was done just to reduce the heat issue.

                  So, the result is that there is no significant change in the generated heat
                  and as far as I'm concerned it is still unusable at high speeds.
                  It is probably usable at about 5000rpm but that isn't my target speed.

                  After another round of emails with Sherline I was asked about the tightness
                  of the bearing fit in the headstock pockets, to which I replied that the
                  bearings were difficult to remove and very tight to install.
                  So the current analysis is that there is too much pressure on the bearing
                  outer race which is the probable cause for the excessive heat.
                  I haven't decided yet whether I will try to bore the headstock pockets or
                  not.
                  I will update again when I have more info.

                  Kenny

                  On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Kenny,
                  >
                  > Thanks! Looking forward to your posts.
                  >
                  > Alan KM6VV

                • Jim Haberly
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 10, 2009
                    I've been running the 10K RPM pulley set with the motor speed set to max for hours while cutting printed circuit boards. I've got a stock 2000 mill.

                    I'm not sure if this is of much help... Sounds like something like the bearing pre-loading is just a little out of adjustment (tight).

                    On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@sbcglobal. net> wrote:

                    > Hi Kenny,

                    > Thanks! Looking forward to your posts.

                    > Alan KM6VV

                  • Alan Marconett
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 10, 2009
                      Hi Kenny,

                      Thanks for the report!

                      Did Sherline offer to look at the headstock for you?

                      > On Behalf Of Kenny
                      >
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > As promised, this is the status of my headstock after replacing the
                      > bearings
                      > with new ones purchased from Sherline.
                      > First I would like to make it clear that I did not have any noticeable
                      > problems when using the standard pulleys and speeds - neither noise or
                      > heat.
                      > The bearing replacement was done just to reduce the heat issue.
                      >
                      > So, the result is that there is no significant change in the generated
                      > heat
                      > and as far as I'm concerned it is still unusable at high speeds.
                      > It is probably usable at about 5000rpm but that isn't my target speed.
                      >
                      > After another round of emails with Sherline I was asked about the
                      > tightness
                      > of the bearing fit in the headstock pockets, to which I replied that the
                      > bearings were difficult to remove and very tight to install.
                      > So the current analysis is that there is too much pressure on the bearing
                      > outer race which is the probable cause for the excessive heat.
                      > I haven't decided yet whether I will try to bore the headstock pockets or
                      > not.
                      > I will update again when I have more info.
                      >
                      > Kenny
                      >

                      > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi Kenny,
                      > >
                      > > Thanks! Looking forward to your posts.
                      > >
                      > > Alan KM6VV

                    • Kenny
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 10, 2009
                        Jim, it's not the preload, I've chased down that avenue.
                        Alan, no they didn't but I'm pretty sure that I can ship it to them and have
                        it checked (perhaps for a fee) but since I'm on a different continent I'm
                        not sure I want to go that route yet.

                        Kenny

                        On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>wrote:

                        > Hi Kenny,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the report!
                        >
                        > Did Sherline offer to look at the headstock for you?
                        >

                        > Alan KM6VV

                      • Vince
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 10, 2009
                          I talked to Sherline about the 10K spindle and they said they adjust the preload differently. They said it's best to order the spindle with the 10K pulleys rather than changing it over later for that reason. I think if reducing the preload didn't help there is some sort of bearing alignment issue or a bent spindle or something.

                          VK

                          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Kenny <nekmech@...> wrote:

                          > Jim, it's not the preload, I've chased down that avenue.
                          > Alan, no they didn't but I'm pretty sure that I can ship it to them and have
                          > it checked (perhaps for a fee) but since I'm on a different continent I'm
                          > not sure I want to go that route yet.
                          >
                          > Kenny
                          >
                          > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...>wrote:
                          >

                          > > Hi Kenny,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the report!
                          > >
                          > > Did Sherline offer to look at the headstock for you?
                          > >

                          > > Alan KM6VV

                        • Kenny
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 11, 2009
                            Vince, after replacing my bearings I set the preload nut very loose and am
                            sure my problem is not preload related.
                            Doing the 3-jaw chuck spin test, my chuck can make more than 2.5 turns with
                            a flick of my wrist, so I'm sure it isn't too tight.

                            I strongly believe now that the 10k upgrade should not be attempted on an
                            old headstock (mine is over 10 years old) and agree that it would be better
                            to purchase the spindle configured for 10k even if the 10k option isn't
                            going to be used straight off the bat.
                            There is the slower speed half of the pulley that can be used for machining
                            while having the option for high speed at a later time.

                            Kenny