RE: [SherlineCNC] Can I rely on the steppers for minumum axial leadscrew play?

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      Use a collar with setscrew.

      ______________________________________
      Andy Wander

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tony_dspglobal
      Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:58 PM
      To: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SherlineCNC] Can I rely on the steppers for minumum axial leadscrew play?

      Hi all,
      I just wanted to get some opinions the following issue:

      The manual Sherline lathe relys on the handwheels being tightened
      as close to the collar as possible so as to not introduce
      play (backlash) into the leadscrew setup. When I convert
      to CNC, if I hard-couple the leadscrew to the stepper shaft,
      can I rely on the nearly zero axial play of the motor shaft?
      Or should I devise a small collar with a set-screw to do the
      job the handwheel once did, i.e. remove the axial play in the leadscrew?

      Any thoughts will be appreciated.

      Tony

      This communication including any attachments, are intended
      for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and contains
      confidential or copyrighted materials. Duplication,
      distribution or reproduction is strictly prohibited by law
      without written permission of Verrex
    • tony_dspglobal

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
          Tony,
          most stepper motors have a light preload spring washer against
          the rear bearing. Try pushing the shaft in. It will depress without
          too much effort. Therefore, you will need thrust bearings on the
          leadscrew shaft leaving the motor out of the equation.
          Ok?
          Rich

          tony_dspglobal wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I just wanted to get some opinions the following issue:
          >
          > The manual Sherline lathe relys on the handwheels being tightened
          > as close to the collar as possible so as to not introduce
          > play (backlash) into the leadscrew setup. When I convert
          > to CNC, if I hard-couple the leadscrew to the stepper shaft,
          > can I rely on the nearly zero axial play of the motor shaft?
          > Or should I devise a small collar with a set-screw to do the
          > job the handwheel once did, i.e. remove the axial play in the leadscrew?
          >
          > Any thoughts will be appreciated.
          >
          > Tony
        • Alan Marconett
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hi Tony,

            You can't rely on the stepper motor's bearings for the axial load the
            leadscrew will impose. That's what the Sherline adapters are for. Look up
            the data sheets on the conversion kit, and check out the bearings in it.
            They are tensioned to remove the axial play.

            > On Behalf Of tony_dspglobal
            >
            > Hi all,
            > I just wanted to get some opinions the following issue:
            >
            > The manual Sherline lathe relys on the handwheels being tightened
            > as close to the collar as possible so as to not introduce
            > play (backlash) into the leadscrew setup. When I convert
            > to CNC, if I hard-couple the leadscrew to the stepper shaft,
            > can I rely on the nearly zero axial play of the motor shaft?
            > Or should I devise a small collar with a set-screw to do the
            > job the handwheel once did, i.e. remove the axial play in the leadscrew?
            >
            > Any thoughts will be appreciated.
            >
            > Tony
          • tony_dspglobal
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
              Well, I guess it's unanimous! I won't rely on the steppers.

              Thanks, guys.
              Tony