RE: [SherlineCNC] RE: Modifying a Delran gear

  • Graham Hollis
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
      Alan

      I've never had much luck with marking jaws and trying to reposition that
      way. I'm saying take a cut on the outside of the stock at the same time
      you're boring the cavity to hold the gear and before you slit it. That way
      the outside surface and inside cavity are true with reference to each other.
      Then after slitting and with the gear held inside the cavity, chuck it up in
      the four jaw, true up the outside surface with the DTI and the gear should
      be perfectly centered for boring.

      Regards
      Graham
      www.d2nc.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
        Alan:

        No need to part off the stock that was clamped, as long as you indicate the turned OD true after rechecking.

        ______________________________________
        Andy Wander

        OK, so then part off the part as well (to get rid of the stock that was
        clamped).

        I can see how that would improve the inside-outside reference. Something I
        hadn't done before.

        On Behalf Of Graham Hollis

        Alan

        I've never had much luck with marking jaws and trying to reposition that
        way. I'm saying take a cut on the outside of the stock at the same time
        you're boring the cavity to hold the gear and before you slit it. That way
        the outside surface and inside cavity are true with reference to each other.
        Then after slitting and with the gear held inside the cavity, chuck it up in
        the four jaw, true up the outside surface with the DTI and the gear should
        be perfectly centered for boring.

        Regards
        Graham
        www.d2nc.com

        This communication including any attachments, are intended
        for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and contains
        confidential or copyrighted materials. Duplication,
        distribution or reproduction is strictly prohibited by law
        without written permission of Verrex
      • Alan Marconett

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
            Hi Andy,

            OK, I get it (finally). One just needs a "true" surface to clock off! I
            hate having to part-off.

            Thanks, I missed that point!

            Behalf Of Andy Wander