Re: Coolant with Sherline CNC?

  • wyverndudejfg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
      I'm using carbide endmills. I am using a cut depth of 0.060 with a
      1/8" endmill, and 5IPM. Spindle speed I don't know, but when (if) I
      find my tach, I'll be able to tell.

      Yours are very unusually small endmills! But 1/8" seems like it
      should be in the normal range for most people who buy a Sherline;
      which is why I'm wondering why the 10,000RPM pulley set seems to be
      such a slow seller for my Sherline dealer.
      I'm sure he'd say the same for endmills in the sizes you're talking
      about.

      I am developing some products for production -which may or might not
      happen- but currently it takes about two hours to cut the part at
      5IPM. I don't relish sitting there squirting oil for two hours every
      time I run a part.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Statman Designs, LLC"
      <titanium@c...> wrote:
      > I do not use coolant with my Sherline mills. I have the 10000 RPM
      pulley
      > set on each mill and I always run at full spindle speed. I only
      cut with
      > small carbide (usually TiAlN coated if available) endmills at
      between 1-5
      > IPM in grade-5 titanium. The endmills are between 0.010" and
      0.040". I use
      > about 5 drops of tapping fluid on each part that I make. I find
      that this
      > is just enough to lubricate the bit and it makes the tiny chips
      stick to the
      > surface which acts as a sponge for the remaining drops of oil, and
      holds the
      > oil at the cutting interface. I have used less than 1 qt of oil in
      over 1
      > year, and I use my mills for an average of 3 hours per day 7 days
      per week.

      > I cannot imagine the supreme mess that it would make if I used 1
      oz. of oil
      > for each part. Have you considered taking a smaller cut and
      running at
      > higher feeds, would that lessen the oil requirement? Are you in a
      shop
      > environment where high throughput is required?
      >
      > Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
      > www.statmandesigns.com
      > dan.statman@r...

      than
      > > anybody else?
      > >
      > > 2) Having broken a number of endmills in the beginning, now I keep
      > > the endmill constantly wetted with oil. Which means pumping oil
      into
      > > the work with an oilcan, on the order of probably 1oz of oil or
      so by
      > > the time I've finished a part. Which is alot of oil.
      > > The Sherline was clearly not designed with coolant in mind.
      Unlike
      > > my fullsize mill, the Sherline bed is open at the sides and ends,
      and
      > > lets the oil flow into the ways and onto the Y-axis leadscrew.
      > > This is really an annoyance for me -using all that oil all the
      time,
      > > and having to vacuum it up all the time. I can't imagine this is
      > > what Sherline intended, nor can I imagine that this is what
      anybody
      > > else does.
      > >
      > > So: my conclusion is, I'm doing something weird. On the other
      hand,
      > > what's weird about cutting aluminum on a Sherline at 5IPM with a
      1/8"
      > > endmill? My methods are working for me -I'm getting nicely
      finished
      > > parts in a reasonable amount of time- but I've gone through 3
      quarts
      > > of oil over the last few months and it's all collecting in my vac.
      > > This just doesn't seem right.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Marcus and Eva
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
        Hi Wyverndude:
        Aluminum can be very difficult to machine cleanly because of its
        tendency to weld to the flutes of the cutter and to the workpiece.
        Some grades are very much worse than others for this.
        The hard grades are better than the soft extrusion grades.
        My personal preference is for 7075 heat treated to T6 condition.
        The chip welding problem can be alleviated by introducing a
        lubricant...that's why you're having success with your oiling procedure.
        But you must remember, that the oil that's splattered all over the room is
        not contributing at all to lubricating the cutter.
        You need very little, a few drops once in a while.
        When I run my CNC I use flood cooling at fairly high flow rates, but it's a
        fully enclosed machine that is designed for this.
        On an open machine, I use a tiny squirt bottle.
        Cheers

        Marcus