Still having problems.

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1 10:43 AM
      I thought my problems were finally sorted out until this past weekend
      when I was running a program, and this time it was not the Z or X axis
      that faulted, but the Y. It stopped moving momentarily causing a
      position loss of about .75 then started moving once again normally.
      All test runs of the stepper system (spindle not on) worked fine.
      When I went to cut the part is when it failed.

      I want to confirm with this great group my suspicions that it is the
      pulse stream being interrupted. I wouldn't think it is a bad wire
      connection to the motor because it does not move. On the other hand,
      it does not appear that anything else is taxing the CPU. The only
      item in the Processes tab using any CPU is the System Idle Process -
      at 99. There are 20 other processes including Mach3.exe The CPU
      usage gage shows 2% usage occasionally without me touching anything.
      Other than that the graph looks consistent with small peaks as I
      understand is normal.

      System:
      Win 2000
      AMD Athlon Processor -unstated speed?
      785,764 KB RAM
      Xylotex Driver
      Mach3 lockdown

      On another note.

      Has anyone else using PowerMax2 Pacific Scientific 6 wire motors had
      issues with pour electrical connections? The connectors are the type
      that make connection by pushing between two blades to cut through the
      insulation. This is not what I would call a reliable connection on a
      motor that moves. In fact, the X problems I was experiencing were a
      result of this type of connection that went bad. When I refreshed the
      connection it worked fine.

      I hope I can get this sorted out. I'm trying to use this for income
      supplement. Am I trying to start out too small? Should I start
      looking for a more industry designed cnc system?
    • Alan Marconett
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1 10:54 AM
        You need strain relief on the motor cables, otherwise I've used these
        connections without problems.

        It might be hard to track down a "gap" of pulses in one motor channel. The
        other two didn't stop?

        Have you been able to repeat the problem in this axis? I'd wonder about the
        carriage, maybe a binding gib? Were you perhaps cutting near the limit of
        your feed speed?

        On Behalf Of Eric

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1 11:44 AM
          I'll get some strain relief incorporated then. Perhaps a zip tie
          around the motor and wire?

          The other two axis were not in motion at the time. I just ran the
          rest of that section of code under tool without issue. That tells me
          there is not a binding problem in the gib. I am running at 16ipm at
          9000rpm.

          Now, I will say that I took a bit different approach to putting delrin
          AF nuts in. Instead of drilling out the diameter of the screw through
          hole and bedding a set screw into the delrin nut to resist spinning I
          made a stainless steel sleeve with a 45 degree cut to the axis on one
          end and bedded the set screw into that. Then I made the nut the same
          way. Following that I put a plunger sleeve in the hole and clamped it
          in place to adjust the backlash with the clamping pressure.

          I suppose the delrin nut is spinning just enough to cause the two 45
          degree angles to ramp each other and tighten on the lead screw. It
          may be that when the axis changed direction it unlocked the nut. I
          did not here the motor skipping steps though. What does everyone think?

          I'm really considering making a new saddle that can contain ball screw
          nuts and switching to ball screws.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:

          > You need strain relief on the motor cables, otherwise I've used these
          > connections without problems.
          >
          > It might be hard to track down a "gap" of pulses in one motor
          channel. The
          > other two didn't stop?
          >
          > Have you been able to repeat the problem in this axis? I'd wonder
          about the
          > carriage, maybe a binding gib? Were you perhaps cutting near the
          limit of
          > your feed speed?

          > On Behalf Of Eric
          >
          > I thought my problems were finally sorted out until this past weekend
          > when I was running a program, and this time it was not the Z or X axis
          > that faulted, but the Y. It stopped moving momentarily causing a
          > position loss of about .75 then started moving once again normally.
          > All test runs of the stepper system (spindle not on) worked fine.
          > When I went to cut the part is when it failed.
          >
          > I want to confirm with this great group my suspicions that it is the
          > pulse stream being interrupted. I wouldn't think it is a bad wire
          > connection to the motor because it does not move. On the other hand,
          > it does not appear that anything else is taxing the CPU. The only
          > item in the Processes tab using any CPU is the System Idle Process -
          > at 99. There are 20 other processes including Mach3.exe The CPU
          > usage gage shows 2% usage occasionally without me touching anything.
          > Other than that the graph looks consistent with small peaks as I
          > understand is normal.
          >
          > System:
          > Win 2000
          > AMD Athlon Processor -unstated speed?
          > 785,764 KB RAM
          > Xylotex Driver
          > Mach3 lockdown
          >

          > On another note.
          >
          > Has anyone else using PowerMax2 Pacific Scientific 6 wire motors had
          > issues with pour electrical connections? The connectors are the type
          > that make connection by pushing between two blades to cut through the
          > insulation. This is not what I would call a reliable connection on a
          > motor that moves. In fact, the X problems I was experiencing were a
          > result of this type of connection that went bad. When I refreshed the
          > connection it worked fine.
          >
          > I hope I can get this sorted out. I'm trying to use this for income
          > supplement. Am I trying to start out too small? Should I start
          > looking for a more industry designed cnc system?

        • Ron OConnor
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2 6:16 PM
            I don't know how helpful this may be:

            I used to have a home made control box that test just fine when the
            spindle motor was off, but acted up when I switched the spindle
            motor on. The control box was picking up static from the motor. I
            made a simple aluminum box around the control box, grounded it to a
            cold water pipe and the problem went away.

            Good luck on your trouble-shooting.

            Ron

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <buckeyevs@...> wrote:

            > I thought my problems were finally sorted out until this past
            weekend
            > when I was running a program, and this time it was not the Z or X
            axis
            > that faulted, but the Y. It stopped moving momentarily causing a
            > position loss of about .75 then started moving once again
            normally.
            > All test runs of the stepper system (spindle not on) worked fine.
            > When I went to cut the part is when it failed.
            >
            > I want to confirm with this great group my suspicions that it is
            the
            > pulse stream being interrupted. I wouldn't think it is a bad wire
            > connection to the motor because it does not move. On the other
            hand,
            > it does not appear that anything else is taxing the CPU. The only
            > item in the Processes tab using any CPU is the System Idle
            Process -
            > at 99. There are 20 other processes including Mach3.exe The CPU
            > usage gage shows 2% usage occasionally without me touching
            anything.
            > Other than that the graph looks consistent with small peaks as I
            > understand is normal.
            >
            > System:
            > Win 2000
            > AMD Athlon Processor -unstated speed?
            > 785,764 KB RAM
            > Xylotex Driver
            > Mach3 lockdown
            >

            > On another note.
            >
            > Has anyone else using PowerMax2 Pacific Scientific 6 wire motors
            had
            > issues with pour electrical connections? The connectors are the
            type
            > that make connection by pushing between two blades to cut through
            the
            > insulation. This is not what I would call a reliable connection
            on a
            > motor that moves. In fact, the X problems I was experiencing were
            > result of this type of connection that went bad. When I refreshed
            the
            > connection it worked fine.
            >
            > I hope I can get this sorted out. I'm trying to use this for
            income
            > supplement. Am I trying to start out too small? Should I start
            > looking for a more industry designed cnc system?

          • cfell5471
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8 5:47 PM
              Eric,

              Where are you located and have you resolved your problem yet?